Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 / XBox 2 - to debut on same day...

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2005, 02:31 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up PS3 / XBox 2 - to debut on same day...

Monday 16th May apparently.

Both will have their world debuts at E3 on the same day - Sony first @ 3pm and Microsoft 3 hours later.

From what I've read so far it looks like Sony's will be the more powerful and if rumours are true about XBox 2 - Microsoft could have made to biggest gaming faux-pas ever (no HDD or backwards compatability - lets hope otherwise)

Both to have wireless controllers.

Anyone got any confirmed specs? I know Microsoft are using ATI for the graphics this time around (due to Sony hi-jacking nVidia) but this Cell stuff in the PS3 sounds too good to be true - between 8 and 13 (?) CPU's running at 4GHz?
Old 11 April 2005, 03:04 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wireless controllers? I'm off to buy shares in battery companies

Hate the things myself, much prefer a cable attached one, but then I'm a bit old school
Old 11 April 2005, 03:06 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

If that's true about the no HDD and no backward compatibility, they've made a grave mistake. I won’t be buying another Xbox, and I think a lot of other will think the same. The only reason I got one was because of the modifications you can do to them (e.g. bigger HDD and different dashboard).

Look like ill be buying a PS3.
Old 11 April 2005, 03:06 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Might have charging stations like my wireless mouse has?
Old 11 April 2005, 03:10 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Not seen any confirmed specs, but had heard that there was to be a HDD in the 'Xbox 360'. Apparently comes with a pre-installed specially enhanced version of Halo 2. Also suggested that larger HDD's available with preinstalled software.

Photos of a supposed wireless Xbox controller are doing the rounds today too, black & white buttons replaced with shoulder buttons.

Also talk of games being available for download earlier than shop releases, legally this time

Probably just talk though
Old 11 April 2005, 03:13 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

This much is confirmed:

The future Xbox will deliver on the company's vision of the HD Era -- an era fueled by consumer demand for experiences that are always connected, always personalized and always high-definition -- through the amazing clarity of high-definition graphics, extraordinary benefits of constant connectedness and exceptional personalization abilities. To help make this a reality, Microsoft has assembled some of the most powerful publishers to drive the industry into the high-definition gaming revolution. Together, these publishers have sold more than half a billion copies of current-generation Xbox console video games worldwide and represent approximately 70 percent of all current-generation console games sold in 2004.*

"The key to bringing the vision for the HD Era of gaming to life is our partners: world-class publishers and developers that have molded and shaped the history of interactive entertainment for tens of millions of gamers worldwide," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Xbox global content and marketing at Microsoft. "This stellar lineup of publishers and developers is poised to deliver games experiences our customers only dreamed were possible, and is ultimately committed to elevating video games to be the No. 1 form of entertainment."

Publishing heavyweights such as 2KGames, Activision Inc., Atari Inc., Bandai Co. Ltd., Bethesda Softworks LLC, Buena Vista Games Inc., Capcom Co. Ltd., Codemasters Software Company Ltd., Eidos Inc., Electronic Arts Inc., FromSoftware Inc., InterServ International, KOEI Co. Ltd., Konami Corp., LucasArts, Majesco Entertainment, Midway Games Inc., Namco Ltd., Phantagram Co. Ltd., Rockstar Games, SCi Games Ltd., SEGA, Tecmo Ltd., THQ Inc., TWP Corp., Ubisoft Entertainment, Vivendi Universal Games Inc. and Webzen Inc. have committed their support for Microsoft's innovative vision for the future of high-definition gaming.

These premier publishers join Microsoft Game Studios, whose stable of game developers will bring exclusive content to the next-generation Xbox platform. These developers include BioWare Corp., Bizarre Creations Ltd., Bungie Studios, Epic Games Inc., FASA Studio, Lionhead Studios Ltd., Rare Ltd., as well as newcomers Yoshiki Okamoto's Game Republic Inc., Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker and Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Q Entertainment Inc.

The next-generation Xbox titles will provide exhilarating entertainment experiences that will drive the HD Era. Gamers can expect technological advancements such as multichannel audio fidelity that will plunge them into a world so realistic, even the faintest enemy footsteps can be heard. These advancements will be fueled by richer online communication and by an abundance of on-demand content delivered by the Microsoft® Xbox Live (TM) service.

In addition, Microsoft is fully committed to this generation, and gamers can expect an amazing pipeline of titles into 2007. This year alone, Xbox publishers and developers will deliver more than 200 games to the platform. Since its launch, Xbox has sold 20 million consoles worldwide, and is expected to sell millions more.

This unified show of commitment from the leaders of the publishing industry underlines their belief in the Xbox vision of how hardware, software and services can be fused to power next-generation gaming and entertainment experiences.

Got to have both really
Old 11 April 2005, 03:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope they don't leave us Brits with a cr@ppy PAL RGB interface and leave the rest of the world enjoying HD through component cables
Old 11 April 2005, 03:22 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by messiah
Monday 16th May apparently.

Both will have their world debuts at E3 on the same day - Sony first @ 3pm and Microsoft 3 hours later.
And I will be in the front row

Xbox 2 will have 2 initial versions I believe, one with hd one without, and then bigger hd versions later.

http://upload.cgno.com/Xbox%20Next%20presentation1.jpg
Old 11 April 2005, 03:58 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
If that's true about the no HDD and no backward compatibility, they've made a grave mistake. I won’t be buying another Xbox, and I think a lot of other will think the same. The only reason I got one was because of the modifications you can do to them (e.g. bigger HDD and different dashboard).

Look like ill be buying a PS3.
Backward compatibilty is pretty pointless surely? If that is the case you will have a Xbox already and once the new games are available not many people will want to play the older games anyway. I'm sure it will have a Hard Drive but currently the PS2 doesn't and from the sounds the PS3 wont either... so why would the PS3 be your choice without seeing either?
Old 11 April 2005, 06:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have just seen this Indicating that the XBOX2 will be launched on May 12th on a live show on MTV, 9:30pm EDT
Old 11 April 2005, 06:45 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Never understood the backward compatibility thing. If you've got a nice new machine, why would you want to play old games on it? Surely if you want to do that you could just stick with the old one...
Old 11 April 2005, 06:49 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Its a valid point. How many PS1 games do you play on the PS2 ? I play a grand total of . . . none. Usually theres a newer, improved version on the next console making it redundant.
Old 11 April 2005, 06:58 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Backward compatibilty is pretty pointless surely? If that is the case you will have a Xbox already and once the new games are available not many people will want to play the older games anyway. I'm sure it will have a Hard Drive but currently the PS2 doesn't and from the sounds the PS3 wont either... so why would the PS3 be your choice without seeing either?
I don’t keep old consoles and computers, if I buy new ones the old ones fund it. And if Sony can do it why not Microsoft?? A few extra penny’s in their pocket I recon, the people still who want to play some of games that use to be on the old Xbox will have to buy new. Don’t think I’ll ever get bored of playing Crimson Sky's.

And if they have got a HDD, good. I was only going on the available information in the first post. The fact that the Xbox had a HDD and could be upgraded and used as a media centre was the only thing that swayed me from the PS2.
Old 11 April 2005, 07:07 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Its a valid point. How many PS1 games do you play on the PS2 ? I play a grand total of . . . none. Usually theres a newer, improved version on the next console making it redundant.

err, as a daddy - it's a big deal for me... ps 1 games still get played on our ps2 'cos , well they're fun... and paid for already....

my little fellas don't get a new console AND 50 brand new games of the same vein but rehased for the new games console all at the same time... building a games collection takes me time cos it costs a fortune. Simple fact. So they get 1 maybe 2 to begin with and they use the old games. There's nowt wrong wi that.

Mikey
Old 11 April 2005, 07:32 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
The fact that the Xbox had a HDD and could be upgraded and used as a media centre was the only thing that swayed me from the PS2.
Xbox 2 has been designed from the ground up to be *the* media centre.

All of MS's activity in 'media centre' PC stuff etc has been leading to this.

But then again, so is the PS3. Right down to the core processor, which has been designed from day 1 to be massively networkable etc. and used across a wide variety of platforms from consoles to DVD / PVR systems, TV's and mobile phones.

The future is here my friends, and boy does it look good!
Old 11 April 2005, 07:44 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Mikey Ace
err, as a daddy - it's a big deal for me... ps 1 games still get played on our ps2 'cos , well they're fun... and paid for already....

my little fellas don't get a new console AND 50 brand new games of the same vein but rehased for the new games console all at the same time... building a games collection takes me time cos it costs a fortune. Simple fact. So they get 1 maybe 2 to begin with and they use the old games. There's nowt wrong wi that.

Mikey
Also true, so you have a PS1 ? If you have a big collection then you already have the console to go with.
Old 11 April 2005, 09:38 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Both machines will be fantastic, but I reckon Sony will have the edge this time, they have to, providing they sort out their online system, and HDD.
Old 11 April 2005, 10:16 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Backward compatibilty.....pah. 20 PS1 games and not one has EVER been in my PS2.

I'm a sucker I'll buy both the new Xbox and PS3 because I'm a Gamer and there will be stand out games on both systems.

The best console doesn't mean best sales. We all know the Xbox is the better setup but the masses go for the PS2
Old 12 April 2005, 09:51 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've got both, and have to say I enjoy playing on the xbox more than the ps2. Better gfx means that for multi-format games I always get the xbox version, and there are very few ps2 only games worth getting imo.

Played GT4 for a while now, and although I'm enjoying it, there are many things which annoy me and which I think are done better in PGR2 (menu systems, ai of the computer controlled cars etc). Not bad, but not the killer game I was hoping for...
Old 12 April 2005, 10:13 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I sold my PS1 years ago but kept a load of games like the early Tomb Raider's as they were brilliant compared to that Angel Of Darkness that came out on PS2.

If MS do release a version of XBox 2 without a HDD - I don't think many people would buy it unless it had the capability to be upgraded later. Non - backwards compatibility is a massive mistake IMHO.

Wireless controllers is a good idea but I'd be paranoid about losing the "signal" at a crucial moment...
Old 12 April 2005, 10:42 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Still don't see why. If I want to play my old games, I'll just keep my old xbox. Don't see the point of spending loads of dosh on a new system and then playing old inferior games on it when there are probably better sequels available on the new platform.
Old 12 April 2005, 10:42 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I use a wireless controller on my Xbox at the moment, other than the fact it eats batteries, I have never lost a signal yet..