Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best pc speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2005, 11:21 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best pc speakers?

Hi

XP SP2, PIV 3.2gHz, 1gb RAM, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Winamp Pro v5.08e. Mainly music + strategy games.

I currently have some old Creative Labs 2:1 Sound Works speakers. They were pretty good in their day, but the sub woofer has just developed a slight rattle. I'm looking for a new high quality speaker system. (My sound card has more outputs than I can shake a stick at.) The sound is mainly for music listening so I don't want surround sound.

What's the best stereo speaker system I can get for a budget of say £200? I understand that the Logitech Z-2300 is supposed to be good, but how about something like a Denon M31 mini system? Any other ideas please?

Regards
Nick
Old 11 April 2005, 01:07 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 from MDC hi-fi for about £180. They make my living room set up sound tame ! Full THX certification as well :

By far and away the best PC speakers I've heard.

55 wpc and the sub will do 31Hz - my neighbours hate me

Last edited by MJW; 11 April 2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11 April 2005, 02:42 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thanks for your reply. I've not heard of these speakers before. I've found a review on Cnet which puts them just below the Logitech Z-2200. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the review. If you have a reference music track, you could see how the bass compares.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Klipsch_ProM...tml?tag=glance
Old 11 April 2005, 04:15 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Unfortunately I haven't listened to the Logitech speakers so can't really make a like for like comparison, but the review of the Klipsch speakers seems to think the bottom end is a bit woolly which to be honest I've never found with mine. It may have something to do with the positioning of the sub - I have mine right in the corner and have never had any trouble with it : this includes playing some very bassy stuff including numerous THX / Dolby Digital test tracks and other things such as drum n bass (RR Fierce - very low bass) and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (probably the lowest bass track ever, think it goes to 5hz). With the sub set to its optimum position it sounds very clear.
One point worth noting is that I have swapped the OE speaker cables for some Cable Talk ones, which may have inadvertantly cured the problem mentioned in the review.
Old 11 April 2005, 04:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Speakers are a very personal thing - if you are looking at spending a fair few pounds on them, probabily best to hear them in the flesh so-to speak.

I couldn't distinguish between the top-of-the-line creative 5.1's and the logitech 5.1's. . . but that's just me
Old 11 April 2005, 07:28 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

MJW & BlkKnight

Thanks for your replies
I agree that speakers are down to personal taste & also they are affected by the quality of driving equipment & source material. I'm used to a very high quality living room Hifi (Linn/Naim), the pc is obviously not in the same league, but I'd like to get some sort of upgrade over what I have right now.

MJW, putting a subwoofer in the corner & against the wall should make the bass worse - stronger & more woolly. The cable upgrades would probably have improved the separation - so you can tell instruments apart from each other (eg bass guitar/bass drum). A reference track I'd use for this would be Madonna's Vogue, where the bass & bass drum should be easy to follow apart from each other.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback & advice.

Regards
Nick
Old 11 April 2005, 07:48 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

I gone a bit OTT with my sound system

KEF home theater 2.1 system running off an Arcam amplifier

Sounds the business
Old 12 April 2005, 07:45 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Do you sit on the subwoofer?
Old 12 April 2005, 07:49 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Mega - like your style!!!
How do you keep your computer desk so clean
Mine's covered in work!!!

Speakers - I've got some pro-Yamaha satellites and an Active sub.
My one Mac is using the Harmon & Kardon/ JBL Kreature things.

My studio Mac uses Dynaudios - not really PC speakers though

Dan

Edited to add - bear in mind that THX is a standard for a room - not necessarily the kit. THX is a licensing agreement that cinemas pay a high premium for. Only when the kit and room come together, and aftrt strict assessment by THX will the certification be awarded.
And IMHO, THX is overrated anyway

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 12 April 2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12 April 2005, 06:41 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I know you said in the first thread that you did not want surround sound, but i like surround sound for a PC. I have the creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700, cost like £250 new 2 years ago. They are very very good speakers. Creative do make good speakers, even is they are a little on the expensive side!

I hear that JBL make good speakers and BOSE (Better Of with Something Else) are good, but are v.expensive and the sound is rather basey. it depends on what you like.

I would suggest is to test the speakers in PC show rooms and see what the quality is like...take a CD and play that, like you would with a hi fi, then you know what you are buying and what the quality is like.

Darren