Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Norton Anti-virus

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 10:10 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norton Anti-virus

I updated the basic package that came with my home pc the other day and added on the extra package giving the Norton Firewall etc. But having done this Outlook express takes about 30 seconds to close down - it just freezes. I have turned off the Anti-Spam stuff but that made no difference. The basic program has worked fine for the last 12 months.

Can anybody shed any light on what I can do as it's really annoying.
Old 06 April 2005, 10:20 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dtriggs
I updated the basic package that came with my home pc the other day and added on the extra package giving the Norton Firewall etc. But having done this Outlook express takes about 30 seconds to close down - it just freezes. I have turned off the Anti-Spam stuff but that made no difference. The basic program has worked fine for the last 12 months.

Is it that uve got the "Scan outgoing mail" turn on??

Go to ur norton antivirus > Options > Email > and untick that. you dont need it on..

try that, it may be that!
Old 06 April 2005, 10:21 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Thanks yr idea but I tried that to no avail. Also last year's version also scanned the email and this didnt happen.
Old 06 April 2005, 10:26 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

Thanks yr idea but I tried that to no avail. Also last year's version also scanned the email and this didnt happen.
what are you using?

Noton antivirus 2005? or an older year?
Old 06 April 2005, 11:16 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Old 06 April 2005, 01:50 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Norton = Devils work
Old 06 April 2005, 02:34 PM
gofasterstripes
Scooby Regular

Default norton

i had norton on my comp and laptop. computers were running slow as hell just though it was all the crap i had on them. when it expired i never renewed so i uninstalled it on my comp. all i can say is WOW the speed of the comp was back to normal super fast.

norton= devils work

Last edited by gofasterstripes; 06 April 2005 at 02:37 PM. Reason: mistakes

Trending Topics

Old 06 April 2005, 06:42 PM
Fox
Scooby Regular

I had the same issue - upgraded from NAV2002 and NFirewall to Norton Internet Security 2005. Complete nightmare. Slowed down the system and would take ages to shut down.

Eventually found out it was due to a background system now installed as part of NIS05 which I cant remember the name of (really helpful I know), but you cannot disable.

In the end I got so frustrated with it, I uninstalled all Norton programmes, removed all traces of Norton and Symantec from the registry, and reinstalled my old versions (suitably updated with the latest virus definitions etc).

I know that in time Norton will cease supporting these old programmes, but they will serve me much better than NIS05 in the short term and are certainly less resource heavy.

Regards

Fox

Last edited by Fox; 06 April 2005 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling - Duh !
Old 07 April 2005, 08:31 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - looks like I wasted my bloody money on Norton then !! Oh well live and learn. I think I will find a different anti-virus software as it is just really irritating now.
Old 07 April 2005, 10:39 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Another "ditch Norton" here I'm afraid. Try Avast!, it's free for personal use and found plenty of nasties Norton Internet Security 2004 missed on a machine I was cleaning up recently.

For firewalls, look at Sygate Personal Firewall and for Spyware detection try Microsoft Anti-Spyware

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by class_A; 07 April 2005 at 10:42 AM.