Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mobile Messer Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2005, 10:32 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mobile Messer Anyone ?

Do any of you guys mess with mobile phones?
My sons purchased a samsung E800 thats not working ! well its barred i think ?
Is he best to cut his losses and bin it ? or is there anything we can do ?
Much appreciated
Old 10 March 2005, 11:36 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Hi,

if it's barred it's probably been reported lost or stolen so best thing you can do is destroy it or hand it in. If it's not been barred there are lots of things that could be wrong but generally they're only one of a few problems and they should be fixable.

Jai
Old 11 March 2005, 06:33 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

It's possible it's just network locked (tied in to one network). You could try using some different SIM cards (borrowed from friends on different networks) in it and see if one of them will work. If it's just network locked then there are lots of places who will be able to get that removed, try a Google search or asking the phone acessories trader operating from a 'market stall' in your local town centre.

If it doesn't work on any network then it's likely it's been reported as lost/stolen and the IMEI (the phones electronic serial number) has been barred by the networks. Not much you can do if that's the case, the whole point is to make stolen phones worthless so they can't be sold on by crims (not calling you a crim BTW!).

Some phones firmware can be re-flashed and have a new IMEI programmed in, but you need special software/cables to do this. I don't know how to do that personally, i think it's illegal (like ringing a car is).