Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ouch, bought the wrong components!

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2005, 07:54 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Ouch, bought the wrong components!

Hi

I'm trying to build my own server & bought an Intel SE7320SP2 dual Xeon motherboard & a Lian-Li V1200 case. The case is big enough for the board, but the Xeon board has 4 extra holes for the heat sink spring for each processor. The heat sinks then screw into the mounting points. My nice new shiny Lian-Li does not have mounting holes for the 8 heat sink holes. I'd like to keep the case & need to try to find out how to add the correct sized threaded holes to the aluminium motherboard plate. Please can anyone tell me how I can do this?
Old 19 February 2005, 12:31 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Nice motherboard I have a Codegen S-201, the motherboard is mounted atop a removable daughterboard which I believe is the case with the Lian Li server cases? If the holes aren't there for the dual Xeons, can you just drill them out?
Old 19 February 2005, 08:38 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thanks for your reply Steve

You have a proper (& pretty big) server case. My Lian-Li is not a proper server case, it's a ATX ext, which fits the SE7320 board fine, I wanted a smaller case as the server is just for my home office & I don't need tons of slots.

Case: http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?a...a8d01e9bd82756

Yes I can drill out some more holes, but how do I make them threaded?
Old 19 February 2005, 08:44 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you screw in the screws they will self thread I guess unless the thickness of the material you are drilling is very thick - or you can buy a small tool from a hardware store to do it for you - they look like small tight corkscrews

Edit.. I just looked at the case. Nice one!

Auminum casters with brake

At least you can clean behind it easily

Last edited by Soulgirl; 19 February 2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 19 February 2005, 09:52 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

OK, job done!

I partly fitted the board & made marks where I wanted the holes. Then I drilled holes slightly smaller than required. I then used some screws that fit the motherboard to the risers & created a thread in the holes by screwing the screws like a self-tapper. I ruined 8 screws doing this. I then was able to screw in the risers, with a little bit of effort. The new screw holes were not millimetre accurate, but the processor heat sinks actually move around a bit as they are just resting using a type of spring action. The board is now installed.
Old 19 February 2005, 11:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Hi

The case is big enough for the board, but the Xeon board has 4 extra holes for the heat sink spring for each processor. The heat sinks then screw into the mounting points. My nice new shiny Lian-Li does not have mounting holes for the 8 heat sink holes.
You lost me here?
Do you mean the INTEL heatsink that comes with the chip?
If so then it should just slot into the M/B and doesnt need anything else (ive just built a P4 3.4 775), the heatsink i had just required the screw to be turned 90 degrees, just ensuring they were in the correct position before you do this.

Tony
Old 20 February 2005, 08:50 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Sorry Tony

It's a dual Xeon board. Each Xeon 604 socket has a heat sink under the board. This fits by slotting from under the board with 4 sockets into 4 holes in the board. The under heat sink must then rest on mounting bolts. The very large Xeon heat sinks then screws though the under sink socket & into the mounting bolts. The advantage of this is that there is extra support for the heat sink & the sink also is using the motherboard tray to dissapate heat.

I've just found some pics of the board & heat sink:
http://www.intel.com/support/process.../cs-020150.htm

Last edited by Nick; 20 February 2005 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Edit to add link