Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Buying 2nd hand lap tops advice please

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2005, 11:13 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2nd hand lap tops advice please

I’m going to a computer fair next weekend. I was going to buy a cheep barebones PC, basically only want it to have a spare possibly to practice with Linux on. Doesn’t have to be anything to fancy.

But my m8 was at the same comp fair last week he bought a 2nd hand laptop for £150. Can’t remember spec was pretty basic but would do the job I want it for. He said the place where he bought it had a wide range of 2nd hand laptops from price he paid up to allot better spec ones.

So it got me thinking a laptop would be a lot better, take up less room and no hassle of needing another monitor or switching monitors from my main PC etc.

But I don’t want to cough up my money to get home and find a laptop with a dodgy screen.

So does anybody have any tips for buying 2nd hand lap tops, things to watch out for, makes/models to stay clear of, makes/models to look out for, or is buying a 2nd hand laptop a bad idea?.

And comments tips would be much appreciated

Regards SDW

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 16 February 2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 16 February 2005, 11:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Dell UK have an outlet shop for used/repaired kit including laptops. I think they all come with a limited warranty so worth a try..

IIRC P4 desktops around £300 - £400 inc vat..

Computer fairs always seem to be shoddy to me (IMHO)
Old 17 February 2005, 12:15 AM
ChrisB

If you must, I'd go for a major brand name like Compaq, IBM or Toshiba. Then you'll have a chance of picking up spare parts for them but probably at a price. Compaq M500, M700 and Evo n600s are good models IMO. I had an Evo n600 (P3 866) and that had the best laptop keyboard I've ever used on it (some scum bag nicked it).

For instance, the internal slimline CDs can be upto £300 to replace with official parts

I'd want to see the laptop working before I parted with my cash at a computer fair.

Or, spend £50 on a 2nd HD and dual-boot your PC
Old 17 February 2005, 12:41 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

hi mate sorry to hijack thead im a honest person selling a good spec laptop http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=403325
Old 17 February 2005, 02:14 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Thanks cong buy im in the north east of englad miles away and id rather have a look at what im buying sadly i think your a litle to far away lol
Old 17 February 2005, 02:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

nr nottingham, have a toshiba satallite laptop Im willing to shift on, IIRC its already got Linux on it. Cant remember the spec exactly. will have a look though if your interested.