Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Outage Affects 500,000+

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 11:35 AM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Outage Affects 500,000+

Its back up NOW I was affected

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...kuklZFQXTpbrLQ

BT has advised isp’s today of a serious network problem affecting Broadband customers in the Manchester, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Yorkshire, Cumbria and surrounding areas. This is affecting many isp’s and at last count around 500,000 customers. The problem appears to have started early this morning.

Details from BT’s fault report system:

Incident Headline: MSIP - MANCHESTER ATM NODE 5 - LOSS OF SERVICE

Incident Details: We are currently seeing alarms and receiving fault reports at MANCHESTER AREA. Engineers are investigating.

Progress Details: Our Engineers are making progress towards full restoration of service.

Further updates will be provided as soon as possible.

Update from 14:00:

The fault has been highlighted as being down to a failure within Marconi equipment which is being replaced rather than repaired. This should speed up Time to Live rather than waiting for a fix.

BT advise they are continuing to work with Marconi in Canada who are sending engineers to the UK to test the failed hardware, we can only presume to ensure the problem is not going to take place elsewhere.

A fix time was estimated as 19:30, as soon as we know any more details we will update where possible. Customers should check their providers network status page for updates.

Updated 19:10 :

Updates are starting to show on most ISP's sites now. The following for example was taken from Plusnet:

Following a further update from BT, work is set to continue to repair the hardware affecting the node on the Manchester RAS.

BT are currently awaiting the arrival of this equipment and are set to continue work throughout the night.

The problem has been identified as requiring significantly more work than initially expected and the curerent ETA is 4.00am tommorow morning (Sunday).
Old 13 February 2005, 04:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, got me, got up at 5am to go to Oxford, went to get directions of the net and nothing, luckily my mate did some on Fri.
Old 13 February 2005, 04:48 PM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it.

The status line was about as much use as a chocolate ashtray too!!!

When I actually got through to a human being at my ISP at 10:30 last night, they said that BT would have the fault sorted at 04:00 this morning.
Old 13 February 2005, 04:50 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I used to work on the Marconi equipment Well, I helped write the network management software for it, so at least they knew where the faults were
Old 13 February 2005, 09:11 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by teknobod
Tell me about it.

The status line was about as much use as a chocolate ashtray too!!!

When I actually got through to a human being at my ISP at 10:30 last night, they said that BT would have the fault sorted at 04:00 this morning.

I did a TCP ping and got DNS server not available or off line ...on the phone straight a way ... and actually got a person that told me BT was having problems not AOL although couldnt tell me when it would be sorted

But at least I know it was not my end