Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac users I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 10:36 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac users I need your help

Can you recomend a software app (pref freeware) that can open MS Access DB's that was created on a windows machine.

Or if I give you a link, convert it for me please and host it and once I have downloaded it, it can be deleted.

Cheers
Simon
Old 11 February 2005, 11:41 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

You are a bit stuffed there as there are very few apps on the mac that can read the mdb file.

MySQL and Filemaker may be able to but only after exporting the datanase and a lot of manual importing, mapping of fields etc
soory cant be of more help but it is the only bugbear in the whole PC-Mac conversion issue.Every other fecking program can be dublicated on the mac apart from MS Access, but as this link states they might be thinking of including a version in OSX Office, but dont hold your breath as filemaker is the king on OSX.
anyway have a look at the link and see if it is of any help

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/...&f=73&t=000093

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...b=7&o=&fpart=1
Old 12 February 2005, 08:18 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I did see a piece of software recently that allowed Filemaker to open MS Access databases or something like that, I just can't remember where I saw it...
It interested me at the time because as a Mac user with a job to do sorting out a hugh Access DB this is the one thing that I really need.
Old 12 February 2005, 11:08 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

If the budget is £0 it looks like you might be learning SQL

Grab the MySQL binaries for Mac OS X from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

DBManager http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/dbmanagerpro/ (free version available) seems to be able to export MS Access db's into a format that MySQL will like.

Then use something like AquaDataStudio http://www.aquafold.com/ to build your queries. Or learn PHP and build a web front end (Apache and PHP should be already installed on your machine).
Old 13 February 2005, 03:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah one of the reasons we, alas, still have PC's in our company. Our DB was initally created in MS Access, and as you're finding out the one part of Office for Mac that MS did not port from the PC was Access.

We've looked into a few options, being a software developer we've got coding chimps so they could knock up something in SQL or WebObjects, but we've not got round to it yet, would be nice though.

I think that this might be what RichB was talking about (convert Access DB's to Filemaker 7). might be worth a look
Old 14 February 2005, 08:31 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

soory cant be of more help but it is the only bugbear in the whole PC-Mac conversion issue.Every other fecking program can be dublicated on the mac apart from MS Access
Disagree, there is a *gaping* hole IMHO with regards to software development. Dont get me wrong I love the mac and run one at home but could never dump PCs simply because there are so many development tools that cover the whole life cycle, from entity relationship modelling, through highly productive IDEs to automated testing tools that simply do not exist on the Mac and believe me Ive searched high and low for stuff because if I could lose the PC I would.

Gary
Old 14 February 2005, 11:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Not wanting to get ****(as there are others who can do a better job at that than me ) but i was refering to the mainstream stuff that us lot use everyday like browsers, office apps, email, media, photos, file sharing,sharing documents, listening to music, printing etc.
We have programmers who, apart from speaking a fecking different language !! would only touch certain programmes and they all exist on Linux or windows and would never ever consider a mac as worthy (except in C++), but for rest of us mere mortals, the day to day stuff we use is with only a few exceptions available on a mac in some form or there is the available convertor.
I do see your point as there are gaping holes and you point these out very well, but for rest of us who just want to print a simple picture that our mate sent us then the mac will do the job as well as a pc, except if they insist on sending it in .bmp bloody format !!

its late and i'm tired so my spelling is shot to pieces
Old 15 February 2005, 08:06 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

"We have programmers who, apart from speaking a fecking different language !! would only touch certain programmes and they all exist on Linux or windows and would never ever consider a mac as worthy (except in C++)"

Get some new programmers Macs are fine.
XTools and WebObjects are nifty dev tools. They include an SQL modelling tool.
Old 15 February 2005, 08:09 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Yes agreed in fact for picture manipulation the mac rocks!

Gary