Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDA Query...

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2005, 06:09 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDA Query...

Well, i've finally gone and done it - bought myself a PDA that is I opted for the Acer N30 which whilst being a relatively basic model, appears to have everything that I'm ever likely to use

First impressions - fantastic! I've played around with most of the "toys" and am pleasantly surprised at how user friendly, and intuitive it is. I've found myself favouring the "letter recogniser" method of text entry which is something i've never got on with in the past, and one feature in particular that I didn't think would benefit me. Bluetooth coupled with my 6230 is brilliant - i've been transferring images/contacts back and forth all day with no trouble. All in all, i'm chuffed to bits

As with all these things thgouh, I haven't quite figured everything out yet and there's one thing in particular that's bugging me. Internet/Email access - how do I do it!?!

I have a working GPRS connection on the phone, and as has been mentioned, I've managed to "pair" the two devices together via bluetooth but no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to access the internet I have had the phone showing "creating GPRS connection" but once that's out the way - nothing. I load up internet explorer and it just doesn't seem to do anything The only way I can access the internet on the PDA at present is via Active Sync on the PC which to be honest, is next to useless!

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to get a *working* internet connection between the N30 and my 6230?! Please

Thanks in advance,

K.
Old 10 February 2005, 06:18 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1421

except choose dial-up device rather than lan

J

Last edited by judgejules; 10 February 2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10 February 2005, 06:25 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

hmm scrap all that, Im not sure, but I think you want to use the net without dialing through to another providor? hmm, I'll have to play a bit more, got no reception where I am though, so its a bit hard to test

J
Old 10 February 2005, 07:04 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
hmm scrap all that, Im not sure, but I think you want to use the net without dialing through to another providor? hmm, I'll have to play a bit more, got no reception where I am though, so its a bit hard to test

J
I'd like (if possible), to simply use the GPRS connection available via O2 on my mobile, to access the odd webpage on my PDA/check emails. I assumed it was simply a case of configuring the PDA to use the mobile phone as a bluetooth modem which would in turn, connect to O2 GPRS.

I hope that makes sense
Old 11 February 2005, 03:01 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Another question on this that someone may know the answer to...

Assuming I configure the PDA to use a dialup connection as opposed to GPRS, does anyone know whether or not I could access the net as part of my free minutes? I have a "free" ISP (where I simply pay for the call) that uses an 0845 number. Can O2 tell whether the connection created is a voice call, or a data connection to an ISP?

K.

Last edited by kelvin; 11 February 2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11 February 2005, 07:54 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kelvin
Another question on this that someone may know the answer to...

Assuming I configure the PDA to use a dialup connection as opposed to GPRS, does anyone know whether or not I could access the net as part of my free minutes? I have a "free" ISP (where I simply pay for the call) that uses an 0845 number. Can O2 tell whether the connection created is a voice call, or a data connection to an ISP?

K.

Hi Kelvin,
not sure about O2, but Orange can definatley tell data calls apart from voice calls. Orange also state in there contract small print that 0845 numbers are NOT included in free minutes. I know I'm refering to Orange, but most mobile providers stick to the same rules I think. Check the small print in your contract.

Proby.

PS - I've tried to conect my HP 2210 to my 6230 via bluetooth and use GPRS to no avail. I have given up!! I can get it to "dial up" as a normal modem (@ a crap 9600 baud) but not using GPRS. Will have to look into it again!!!