Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband is giving me the hump big time

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2005, 02:14 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband is giving me the hump big time

I currently have the BT 512 broadband service and its fine but getting slow in todays terms. I tried to upgrade to their 1 meg service, after taking my order and saying all was fine they came back and said i didnt live close enough to a BT exchange and therefore it wasnt available ( I live in a big town for crying out loud) .....
So next step was NTL for their 1.5meg service. Rang on Wednesday and given friday afternoon appointement to have the cable fitted brilliant. Had the afternoon off work and stayed home waiting. Did they turn up? did they bollards. Was told 4 times he was clocked onto my job and on the way. It turns out they came prior to the alloted time and decided it needed construction work. Thats got a 6 week waiting time ....argghhhhhhhhhhhh

So i have the hump big time, what are my options? Is there anyone else who provides a service of at least 1meg and doesnt need to use the BT line???

Your help would be very much appreciated

Gary
Old 09 February 2005, 02:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

If you don't want to use a BT line, your only options ate NTL and given todays announcement I'd avoid them like the plague.

Clicky

Give these guys a call.

www.keyconnect.co.uk

Very small ISP excellent service - slightly more expensive than most - but all the broadband accounts are unrestricted.

Tell them Jason from LANSE sent you.
Old 09 February 2005, 02:53 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
If you don't want to use a BT line, your only options ate NTL and given todays announcement I'd avoid them like the plague.

Clicky

Give these guys a call.

www.keyconnect.co.uk

Very small ISP excellent service - slightly more expensive than most - but all the broadband accounts are unrestricted.

Tell them Jason from LANSE sent you.

Its not that i dont want to use BT its that apparently im not close enough to an exchange.........

thanks for the notes, will check them out.

Any other comments anyone??
Gary
Old 09 February 2005, 04:14 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine also had simmilar issues with BT.

He was originally routing through an exchange which was 10km's from his house - even though he had a closer one on his doorstep.

BT refused to move him (for free) unless he signed up with theire broadband contract for a year.

After some advise (from offcom) he signed up to BT's broadband - BT then moved him to the local exchange. He then cancelled his broadband contract (under distance selling regulations) and switched ISP's - he still has BT phoneline tho.
Old 09 February 2005, 04:33 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I will give BT a final ring tonight and see if I can find out how far I am from the exchange.
If they say im close enough (which I doubt) then I will probably get one of the other systems which uses the BT line installed.......Cant remember who it was now but someone was offering me 3 meg for reasonable money, Eclipse perhaps?

Cheers for your help though

gary
Old 09 February 2005, 04:49 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

watch out for bandwith usage caps

If like me you become a download ***** you munch up the gigs fairly quick - I gig 5 gigs over the last day and 1/2 alone.
Old 09 February 2005, 05:27 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

If you PM me your phone number and postcode I can tell you exactly what you can get directly from the BT BB database.

David
Old 09 February 2005, 07:06 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

They initially told me i could have the 1meg but then said they had done a secondary check and decided I couldnt .......... however having been tranferred about 3000 times before I got the answer and speaking to people from all parts of the globe maybe im being sceptical but im not sure I believed the final result

Gary
Old 09 February 2005, 07:08 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

The BT BB DB is a crock of total and utter smeggin poo. I've had BB in my house for over three years, type my phone number into their online checker, "sorry, not in an adsl enabled area, blah blah blah"...

Get a real company to run your line check, tell them you want it tested for 1meg, not just a "lookup".

Give www.zenadsl.co.uk a ring, when they do their loop test, ask them to tell you the distance.

Jules
Old 09 February 2005, 09:00 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I shall rephrase my answer, I have a corporate account with a BB provider and if I provide him with the postcode/number he can tell me exactly what services are and are not available. This costs me nothing and hopefully will help Pug.

No harm in getting a second opinion.
Old 09 February 2005, 09:08 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Sorry if that sounded like I was having a go at you Scooby, it was just a wee dig at British Telescam.

Jules
Old 09 February 2005, 09:15 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

If you can get a faster service on your BT line then UKOnline are doing a 2Mb service for £29.99 per month, should this be of any use to you.

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/