Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help connecting an Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2005, 10:28 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help connecting an Xbox

Santa has been good to me and brought me an Xbox plus 4 games but - the SCART lead that comes in the box is utter pap, so I'm wondering what my options are...

Preferred choice is S-Video, but the only sockets on my TV are taken up by the PS2 - I did see a "universal S-Video" lead set what had the AV sockets for PS2, XBox & GameCube all on the end, has anyone got these and what the quality is like plus how much cable is there between sockets (meaning is there enough to have machines plugged if they're sat next to each other)

Next question - Dolby Digital. Am I right in thinking there's no output on the back of the XBox and I need the get the Advanced SCART leads to get one?

Please help - Halo 2 looks bo11ocks...
Old 04 January 2005, 10:31 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you can use Scart, then go for the Advanced Scart cable which does full RGB and also has an optical out to connect to your surround.

I just use an RGB enabled, manual switch box to select between consoles as my Sony TV only has one RGB enabled socket.
Old 04 January 2005, 10:42 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Sony TV here too but...

I used to have the PS2 connected to my Old 25" Sony connected via an uprated SCART and the picture was great but when I upgraded by TV to 100 Hz 32" Sony Wega I found that the yes the picture was good but you couldn't read the lap times on GT3 - S-Video made it all Crystal clear again.

RGB socket is being taken up by the DVD, luckily the TV has 3 SCART sockets plus the S-Video so 3 of the 4 are taken up with the PS2, DVD & Sky. How many Sockets can the Switch boxes take? Automatic switching for 3 sockets would be ideal, where do you get them?
Old 04 January 2005, 10:47 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by messiah
Sony TV here too but...

I used to have the PS2 connected to my Old 25" Sony connected via an uprated SCART and the picture was great but when I upgraded by TV to 100 Hz 32" Sony Wega I found that the yes the picture was good but you couldn't read the lap times on GT3 - S-Video made it all Crystal clear again.

RGB socket is being taken up by the DVD, luckily the TV has 3 SCART sockets plus the S-Video so 3 of the 4 are taken up with the PS2, DVD & Sky. How many Sockets can the Switch boxes take? Automatic switching for 3 sockets would be ideal, where do you get them?
My switch box has 3 RGB sockets, I tried cheap automatic ones but the picture was crap and often ghosted or blurred. A more expensive auto box may be better but I found a manual one to be the safest option. Mine came from eBay, just check that its fully wired RGB.

Not tried S-Video on mine I'm afraid as RGB is perfect on my Wega
Old 04 January 2005, 11:08 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

If you have the chance it's worth a look - a much sharper image IMHO.
Old 04 January 2005, 11:22 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Really ? So S-Video is better than Scart RGB ?
Old 04 January 2005, 11:30 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

It was on my TV - I never really noticed the drop in picture quality when I first swapped the Telly (Sony Wega 32" Widescreen with DRC) until I played GT3, like I said earlier I didn't notice it until I looked to the lap times on screen and they couldn't be read. My first thought was it was due to not being connected to the RGB, so swapped it over and it was no better - I checked I didn't have the PS2 set to a composite output but it wasn't that either.

A mate had a set of (Sony's Official) S-Video leads as he was using it as his main DVD player and I tried those and hey presto.

The Sony leads weren't cheap though, £35 IIRR but I knew they worked so went for them.
Old 04 January 2005, 11:34 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Nice. Its just that I have a Sony DVD/Surround box which has no Scart, just composite, component and S-Video. I have never hooked it up to my TV because I didn't have a suitable lead. Maybe an S-Video -> Scart cable is a good option ?
Old 04 January 2005, 11:41 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

What? You have kit not connected up? Shocking!! You'll not catch me doing that <cough> (Guilty your honour)

Do you mean the DVD/Surround box has no SCART out?
Old 04 January 2005, 12:31 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I have a sony 32"....

Sky -> TV AV1 (RGB)

DVD (S-Video + Dig Audio)
Xbox (S-Video + Dig Audio)
PlayStation (S-Video + Stereo)
Sky (Stereo Only)
VCR (Stereo Only)
all connected to Sony AV Amp which then connects via S-Video to TV AV2 (i.e. S-Video to Scart)

VCR to TV AV3 - Composite Video / Stereo

And yes you need one of the advanced scart cables to dig audio out of the x-box. I use this one
Old 04 January 2005, 12:38 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

So you're another advocate of S-Video?

How do you plug multiple S-Video leads in? Do you have a switch box or the like?
Old 04 January 2005, 12:41 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by messiah
What? You have kit not connected up? Shocking!! You'll not catch me doing that <cough> (Guilty your honour)

Do you mean the DVD/Surround box has no SCART out?
Thats it

I've got:

Sony 28" Wega with one RGB Scart input, one not RGB. Second port I don't bother with as picture is not good enough;
Sony DVD/Surround box with no Scart output;
PS2;
Xbox;
Gamecube;
Sky Digital.

I think currently it goes Xbox, PS2 & Sky into Scart block and into TV. Then the GC gets connected to the Scart block when I use it. I play DVD's on the Xbox because I tried Sony DVD to TV via a scart adaptor with composite and S-Video & composite is pants and S-Video was just B&W. I have optical feeds from the Xbox and PS2 into the surround box.

Would be good to be able to get a good pic on the Sony DVD as the GF hates having to use the Xbox for DVD's

Having said that I'm looking at getting a DVD recorder or Sky+ now too
Old 04 January 2005, 12:55 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Using S-Video leads for the Xbox / PS2 would free up a socket on your switch box for the DVD or you could connect it direct to the TV.

2 drawbacks with S-Video leads though - they're usually on the front of the TV so you'll have them on show if you leave them in, and they don't automatically switch to the AV channel when you switch the source on.

Have a look on HiFibitz.co.uk - They stock all the Sqart range of sockets, V Highly rated there's bound to be one suitable.

Currently got :

Sky into AV1 - RGB
DVD into AV2 - non RGB
XBox into AV3 - non RGB (with the <ahem> brilliant <ahem> SCART as provided by Microsoft
PS2 into AV4 - S-Video RGB

All except XBox are plugged into a DD Amp - PS2 & DVD using Optical cables (need to check I have another free!!)

Last edited by messiah; 04 January 2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04 January 2005, 12:56 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers will have a look at cable options
Old 05 January 2005, 04:27 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Just got a gold plated RGB SCART plus phono plugs off eBay for the princly sum of £1.92