Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Web hosting question

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 01:19 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Web hosting question

Hi
Can anyone recommend a web hosting company that can meet the following requirements:

REgistration and unix/linux hosting of a .com domain
Must support PHP
20+ mailboxes
Usage stats
Web based admin

In addition, I want to be able to send and receive mail using Outlook regardless of how I am connected to the internet. I do not want to be tied to connecting to the hosting companys network to send mail. This seems to be an issue for a lot of hosts, but I don't see why I should have to dial in to their network to send mail at 56k when I have a much faster internet connection already, doesn't make any sense at all. I know most have webmail but the functionality of these interfaces is usually quite basic.

My current isp has said they can do everything except the email sending. They will not relay mail unless I am connected to their network via dialup or ADSL. Company policy

Thanks

Ken
Old 13 December 2004, 06:50 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

<flame suit on>

www.titaninternet.co.uk

can do all that, even give you an alternate SMTP port to bypass any port 25 capturing.

not cheap but then you get what you pay for.
Old 13 December 2004, 06:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

And you get Lee supporting you. What more can you ask?!

Steve.
Old 13 December 2004, 07:04 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Are you wanting to change your ISP as well?

I believe that a standard PlusNet account provides you with all this:
Unlimited email addresses, with unlimited mailboxes
Webmail access
SMTP forwarding
fax-2-email
online organiser
250MB webspace
CGI, PHP & shell access
MySQL database
WebStats
Free hosting for up to 3 domains
Web based domain configuration
static IP
spam filter

Prices from £14.99 per month for 1MB/1GB, to £39.99 for 2MB/unlimited

You can currently change to them for free.

Look here for more details.

(If you sign up, please use 'dharbige' as your referer!!)
Old 14 December 2004, 01:47 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Use Titan for URL redirection, and also for a friend who had to migrate to another ISP.

They have been great, very helpful at the start and no problems at all since.

Dave
Old 14 December 2004, 08:23 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies everyone, but I don't think there is an answer to my problem about not being able to send mail if not connected to the network of the isp that is hosting the domain.

I'm quite hapy with my isp and they can do everything I need except this. It would seem to be industry standard. I spoke to a tech support guy at fasthosts today who said they don't care about how you connect you can use both the POP and SMTP servers so I have gone with them. Now I have signed up I find that only the POP server is available to me unless I use their internet service unless I go for a more expensive mail service which I don't really need. Looks like I will have to work out something with mail forwarding or something instead,or maybe I should ask them for my money back as I was misled by the tech support guy.

Thanks again
Old 14 December 2004, 09:18 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

My main ISP is Nildram and I use 02 via mobile, I use VerveHosting in the states for mail and web hosting of 4 domains (plans meets your criteria) and have no issues sending/receiving mail with any of those on either connection.
I also use Webfusion for hosting in the UK and have no issues for them either.
Mail apps are Outlook2003 and the one that comes with PocketPC.

Hope this helps, it can be done...!
Old 15 December 2004, 01:23 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

I just have 2 accounts setup in outlook, each with different SMTP servers. The pop3 settings are the same on both, I just select whichever account is appropriate when I send. Blue Yonder at home and BT at work. You'll probably struggle to find someone who'll allow you to use their SMTP server unless you are coming through their connection, as how are they meant to know if you're genuine or a spamer ??

HTH

Dave
Old 15 December 2004, 08:48 AM
ChrisB

I'm quite hapy with my isp and they can do everything I need except this. It would seem to be industry standard. I spoke to a tech support guy at fasthosts today who said they don't care about how you connect you can use both the POP and SMTP servers so I have gone with them. Now I have signed up I find that only the POP server is available to me unless I use their internet service unless I go for a more expensive mail service which I don't really need.
More expensive mail service?

I run our public POP3 server in two ways...

POP3 before SMTP. When you check your mail via POP3, the server remembers your IP address for a period of time (say 15 minutes). During that time you can send out via the server.

SMTP Authentication. Enable this on a mail client and use the same details as your POP3 username / password. Every time you send you authenticate and off goes your mail.

Either way, I couldn't give two hoots about what network people sending through our server are on.

I don't understand why it's such an issue to them?
Old 15 December 2004, 01:06 PM
MJB2
Scooby Regular

I use http://www.123-hosting.co.uk/ very cheap, great service and they will do everything you want.