Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wandoo broadband problems

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 08:34 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wandoo broadband problems

Help me!!!!!!!!!

Broadband nightmare. I am trying to help a friend to get on the internet but I can not connect to it at all!!!!!
All the equipment is set up right, so the problem is not there. The green ADSL light on the modem is flashing all the time. Is this telling me there is no ADSL line there (even though BT have told me it is on).

The only other thing i can think of is, it is connected to an extention line but rather than coming from box inside the house the cable comes the box on the outside of the house. it runs along the outer wall then up to the spare bedroom.

Would this affect the connection?
Anyone had any probls with wanadoo broadband before?

Cheers Adam
Old 29 October 2004, 08:55 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's a self install set up ( I assume it's a BT adsl connection ? ) then each phone point needs a splitter/microfilter.

If an engineer insall then that has the right hardware as it enters the house and no further filters are needed.

So depends on your install and where you took the feed from to the extension ... before the main filter or if you have no filter on the new line.
Old 29 October 2004, 09:19 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Flashing green usually means ADSL is enabled on the line but has a problem. The light should be solid green if you are not transmitting data.
Old 29 October 2004, 09:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start from the basics, check to make sure that the software is in ok, only have the modem plugged in and no other phones on the line , have only one micro filter in, making sure its as close to the modem as possible (especially if you have an extension cable).
Take it from there, it should work with just the computer on the line with the filter in, if so, you know what your problem is/was, and when adding phones/other equipment, ensure that each line has its only microfilter.

Tony
Old 30 October 2004, 12:48 AM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads for the info.

It starting to p**s me off now!!!!! just cant get it. I have tried connecting it to the downstairs main socket. I took all the computer downstairs and set it up there, but no avail!!!!

When i try to connect through speed dial(first time) it says "no dial tone detected" but the ADSL green light is flashing on the modem. Wandoo and BT say the ADSL line is working fine. The only thing i can think of is the BT line is not turned on. It still connects to normal dial up without a problem. Would this affect it?

Might have to give in and call the engineer!!!!!!! but i really dont want to give in. I would like to work it out on my own and with a little help from u lads.

Cheers Adam
Old 30 October 2004, 01:47 AM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

is the line plugged into the modem socket properly?

Its prob something simple that you may have overlooked, be patient and go through the whole uninstall-re install process again.
Old 30 October 2004, 10:46 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Where in the UK are you. If your local I can pop round as my router tells me everything there is to know about the line without any configuration.
Old 30 October 2004, 10:55 AM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

I'm also with Wanadoo.

Is the ADSL modem you've got a Thomson Speedtouch 330?

If so, the right hand led should be steady rather than flashing. Mine certainly flashed until the line was activated, and does so for the first 30 secs or after a reboot, but other than that is always on.

Does that help, or am I just telling you something you already know?
Old 30 October 2004, 11:00 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

it takes upto 10 days for it to be set up on your line, the green light will be steady when its ready for connection.

make sure you have used the filters on every telephone in the house!!

james
Old 30 October 2004, 11:51 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose you have installed the drivers etc. for the ADSL modem - is it the alcatel ( Thomson ) Green Frog type - Speedtouch model?

Some drivers were buggy and hung the PC, but with no drivers it wasn't recognised as such ( on Win Me ).

I changed to a SMC Barricade router/hub, and that was straight on as soon as I entered a couple of settings! Super bit of kit.
Old 30 October 2004, 04:29 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Cheers for info lads

Scoobydoo we are in stoke on trent at the minute.

Tentenths - Yeah it is the speedtouch 330. It says in the book that A flashing green light means that the modem can detect A ADSL line but can not connect to it. All the other phones have been disconnected and the computer is set up to the master socket.

J4mou - They were told it takes 10 days for the line to be activated, they recieved an email on the 21st Oct saying that it is now activated. After applying on the 11th Oct

Vulmax - Drivers are fine, or the computer says it is fine. We have uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch just to be sure.

To me, It all points to BT not turning on the line. That is only reason i can think of or may be the modem is Fooked!!!!!!!!

Cheers for all the help lads

Adam
Old 30 October 2004, 05:21 PM
DEKA
Scooby Regular

I am currently o wanadoo broadband. Getting a second pc for the daughter for xmas, the filter is on the incoming box which which splits off to the sitting room then upstairs which the second pc will be connected to. Will the upstairs pc be on broadband
DEKA
Old 31 October 2004, 10:21 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I did a Wanadoo broadband install for a friends wife a few weeks ago and had exactly the same issues. What made me slightly suspicious at the beginning was that Wanadoo didn't email my friend to say her Broadband had been enabled by BT so I was sceptical as to whether it had or not (though Wanadoo assured me it had when telephoned).

I called Wanadoo several times (and to be fair, their helpdesk was better than average) and we tried everything (disconnecting Sky TV, Splitters in each socket, changing splitters etc.) and still the flashing green light (same modem as you by the way).

Eventually they conceded we had tried everything and they called a BT engineer on behalf of my client who found the entry cable (to the house) was somehow faulty. He switched this at the exchange (they had a redundant 2nd line as well, non broadband enabled) and hey presto - everything works!

It may be a co-incidence, but I've installed Broadband (various providers) for loads of friends/family etc. and I've twice heard of this same problem now...but only with Wanadoo's technology. Could just be they are one of the largest providers I suppose and thus statistically more likely to have these sorts of issues?

Russ
Old 31 October 2004, 11:18 AM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Russ boy,

I think u hit the nail on the head. i think that is where the problem lies. I had to conceed, it beat me. Its beyond my capability. The BT engineer is coming around this week.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

Adam

DEKA, I would of said it would be. You will need to connect a filter though.

Last edited by Albert47; 31 October 2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 31 October 2004, 11:21 AM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

could also be an issue with the adsl modem rather than the line. If the modem has not actually booted correctly you will also see a flashing light.

Wanadoo / BT need to allow the modem's MAC address on the network or you will not be able to connect, get them to check this, and if they have done it ask them if they can poll the modem.

I have not used Wanadoo before but I have had the same issue with other providers.

Originally Posted by RussBoy
I did a Wanadoo broadband install for a friends wife a few weeks ago and had exactly the same issues. What made me slightly suspicious at the beginning was that Wanadoo didn't email my friend to say her Broadband had been enabled by BT so I was sceptical as to whether it had or not (though Wanadoo assured me it had when telephoned).

I called Wanadoo several times (and to be fair, their helpdesk was better than average) and we tried everything (disconnecting Sky TV, Splitters in each socket, changing splitters etc.) and still the flashing green light (same modem as you by the way).

Eventually they conceded we had tried everything and they called a BT engineer on behalf of my client who found the entry cable (to the house) was somehow faulty. He switched this at the exchange (they had a redundant 2nd line as well, non broadband enabled) and hey presto - everything works!

It may be a co-incidence, but I've installed Broadband (various providers) for loads of friends/family etc. and I've twice heard of this same problem now...but only with Wanadoo's technology. Could just be they are one of the largest providers I suppose and thus statistically more likely to have these sorts of issues?

Russ
Old 03 November 2004, 07:59 AM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

I had similar problems when I first had ADSL installed.
If the green light keeps flashing it means it can't synchronise with the ADSL signal (if all is ok it should go to steady green a few seconds after the O/S starts) and in desperation tried several different modems/routers thinking this was the problem.
I live near the maximum range away from the exchange, but I knew that other households on the estate were using ADSL ok. BT measured the signal coming in to my house and it was very poor quality. The first 2 engineers BT sent ended up scratching their heads and walking away. The 3'd guy was really on the ball and quickly found the problem was with one of the street cables.