Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HELP with mac - quick!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2004, 08:10 PM
subsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP with mac - quick!!!!

A friend of mine wants to send me an audio file. The file type is M4A and i want to accept it through msn so that i can play it on windows me. How does she change the file type to something i can accept? Shes running Mac OS panther i think:S cheers for help
Subsy
Old 28 October 2004, 08:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

.m4a files are AAC encoded files.

If you had a copy of iTunes on the PC you *might* be able to play the file, but if it's been downloaded from iTunes Music store then it is more than likley protected, and thus won't allow you to play it.

If your friend has just converted the file, for example from mp3 to m4a then you should be able to play it.
Old 28 October 2004, 08:22 PM
subsy
Scooby Regular

theyv basically uploaded it from a CD onto there computer, im guessing theyve just played it through itunes as they do have an ipod,does this mean that the original copy on the cd should play? ive tried playing it in quicktime and WMP and it isnt working? thanks for your quick reply btw
Subsy
Old 28 October 2004, 08:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah right, sounds like they have just ripped the CD into iTunes, and the 'AAC' encoder was selected, so the resulting file is an m4a rather than an mp3.

I don't think WMP will play AAC/m4a files, and I think quicktime will only do it if you have quicktime pro, which you have to pay for.

Personally I'd just download and use iTunes, it's not as clunky as WMP.

There seems to be a bit more info on this kinda thing here so it might be worth a peek.

No probs about the quick reply, am a mac geek with an iPod whose been having a fair bit of "fun" trying to convert 4500 files from mp3 to m4a

http://www.osxhax.com/archives/000046.html