Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony Laptop Hard Disk

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2004, 07:41 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sony Laptop Hard Disk

I have a Sony Gr214ep laptop, and the hard drive has decided to give up the ghost. I sent it to Sony but they want to charge me £183 to repair and replace it, which to me seems a lot of money just to replace the existing 15gb drive.
So what I was thinking is to maybe replace it myself and put in a bigger drive in the process. Now I am okay at upgrading my desktop computer, but I am worried about taking the laptop apart. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that gives instructions on how to take the case apart, or does anyone have any experience of replacing one ?
Also would any 2.5 hard drive work ?

Thanks
Chris
Old 28 October 2004, 07:48 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Any hard drive should work. Cannot point you in the direction of a website but in my experience the cover is normally on the bottom and the hard disk is a relatively easy swop over (ie pull out and replace with new) If you post a photo of the bottom of it I can probably point out which cover you need to remove as the cover is normally the same size as a hard drive.

I may also be able to help you out with a replacement hard drive. I have got a couple lying about that you can have, just PM me an address and I will post it Mon.

Hope this helps.

HomerJ.

Originally Posted by chrisowe
I have a Sony Gr214ep laptop, and the hard drive has decided to give up the ghost. I sent it to Sony but they want to charge me £183 to repair and replace it, which to me seems a lot of money just to replace the existing 15gb drive.
So what I was thinking is to maybe replace it myself and put in a bigger drive in the process. Now I am okay at upgrading my desktop computer, but I am worried about taking the laptop apart. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that gives instructions on how to take the case apart, or does anyone have any experience of replacing one ?
Also would any 2.5 hard drive work ?

Thanks
Chris
Old 28 October 2004, 09:32 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

After posting this I looked at the underside of the laptop and removed the flap next to the battery and there was the hard drive, Doh !
Didn't realise it was so easy. Thanks for the help homerJ.