Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dual Boot questions

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2004, 04:17 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual Boot questions

I have a machine currently running on W2000 Server.

I'd like to make this a dual boot W2000 Server / Solaris x86

I assume I'll have to trash the machine and re-format. Which operating system do I put on first? Do I put on W2000 Server and allocate disk space to that, then load Solaris into the remaining unallocated space, or is it not that simple?

Will I need something like partition magic?

Once I've done that, I intend making my XP machine an XP/Linux dual boot - though I'll see how I go with the 2000 machine first!
Old 22 October 2004, 05:55 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always, always put Windows on first - just about every other OS checks to see what other OSes might be present before installing, but Windows doesn't believe any other OS exists. I don't know Solaris, but Linux generally checks for OSes, then volunteers to move/add partitions to allow an install. Personally I do use PM8, but I just find it quicker and easy - and I'm more certain I've got it right. I've aways put each OS on its own disk - it's not like a 40GB HDD costs very much.

M
Old 22 October 2004, 06:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Kevin,
I am going to echo most of what M says.

I've got a PC sitting next to me and it's running Windows 2000 Server and Fedora Core 2.0.

Fedora has a built in partition editor thing as part of the install, I think it's based on partition magic so you *might* be able to simply repartition the existing drive.

To be honest, i'd back the machine up and then reformat with a couple of partitions.

Install 2000 first, then go for Solaris, as you'll have a nice clean partition it'll be a doddle to work out where to install it.
Old 22 October 2004, 08:42 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info

Install 2000 first, then go for Solaris, as you'll have a nice clean partition it'll be a doddle to work out where to install it.
Backing up the machine now, then I'll re-format and split into 2 drives. Just hope 30Gb is enough for both.
Old 22 October 2004, 09:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

More than enough. my 2000 partition is 5GB and I'm pretty sure my Linux one is also 5GB.

ooh, One thing you might want to consider. Make three partitions. why? well, for windows I like to have two partitions, one is a 'system' partition where I install the OS itself, the other is a 'data/applications' partition where I install applicataions and store my data. The idea being, if I need to reinstall the OS, I don't have to completely reinstall all my apps, plus lose my data. I manage four servers and this method has saved a lot of work in the past.