Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Casio QV-R41 Digi Cam - Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 10:35 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Casio QV-R41 Digi Cam - Any good?

Seriously considering one of these to replace my trusty 2.2MP Kodak DX3600. I've outgrown the Kodak, although it is remarkably good, it offers hardly any user input with regard to settings, I'd like to at least fiddle around and learn something about these. I take lots of low light photos at gigs and the occasional night rally stage and the Kodak isn't great at these.

My main requirements are to exceed the quality and zoom capibilities of the Kodak, improve on battery life, be much smaller and hopefully pretty good looking. I'd like the facility to do videos with sound, preferably unlimited length (within memory card constraints obviously!). Would much prefer it to use AA cells than have it's own pack. All for £150 max.

I think the Casio answers all of these very well, the 5MP version gets a good review, and when I had a look at a QV-R41 in Jessops I was impressed and the sales guy was singing its praises (but couldn't believe, and wouldn't match Novatech's price ). The only downsides to the Casio I can see are the 60sec limit to videos.

Does anyone have one or have any suggestions for alternatives? Also, can anyone recommend a nice case for a 88.3 x 60.4 x 33.4mm camera? And which SD cards work well with Casios or are they all pretty much the same?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 06 October 2004, 09:41 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not bad, no sound on video though.

Casio Exilim EX-Z3 or Z4 are the ones for that.
Old 06 October 2004, 09:42 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Or Canon Ixus II

Try www.buyacamera.co.uk
Old 06 October 2004, 12:49 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I've got a QV-RV40, and have been very pleased with it. In fact it came second in our inter company digicam contest which we held about a year ago, was only beaten by the excellent FinePix S304.

You'll be impressed with the build quality.
Allan
Old 06 October 2004, 12:50 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Oh, forgot to mention that Jessups do a case which fits perfectly.
Old 06 October 2004, 09:18 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks DW and Allan.

Hadn't realised about the lack of sound, *****. The Ixus IIs looks nice but I don't like the idea of relying on the specific battery packs, plus it's a bit over budget. The EX-Z series do look great but are again over budget and have Li-Ion batt packs although these are meant to have stunningly good life. One extra plus I've found for the QV-R41 is it sounds like the 60sec vids are based on the internal memory and it will let you do longer with a bigger SD card, the lack of sound is a let down though.

Still very tempted, I'll ponder for a day or two I expect, any other views would still be appreciated.

Old 06 October 2004, 09:38 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has the QVR jobbie and AFAIK that has a Li-on battery as well.

The battery life on my EX-Z3 is amazing. Took it for a week in Lanzarote back in summer and didnt take the charger. Used it every evening, and every other day on trips out and there was still half battery life left when we got back to the UK.
Old 07 October 2004, 12:11 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

The older QV-R4 had Li-on yep, they changed to AA for the 40 and now the 41. Grrrr - I want an EX-Z30 or Z40 now ! £179 and £194 respectively though . Might try to pop down to a camera shop tomorrow afternoon to have a look all the same .

Cheers,

Ben
Old 07 October 2004, 12:42 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yep, QV-R40 takes AA's, battery life is very good.

I had a Sony Li-on cell for a Cybershot which only lasted a year, couldn’t even revive it using a resistor to drain it down.

Allan