Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Mac security gurus??

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2004, 07:36 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Mac security gurus??

We seem to be having a worm going around our office, it attacks Microsoft entourage email client.

Has totally f*ck*d our account director, as her entire inbox, folders, outbox, and contacts has been eaten (gobble, gobble, gobble).

Not funny when all the projects, and all the contacts you've been working with over the past year go up in smoke...

Not sure if all the ladies had been backing up, but I suspect we've all been caught out on that one.

IT guy is nice chap, but has to manage quite a lorra machines on a network on his lonesome...

Anyone got any details of this???

Last edited by mynickers; 09 September 2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:29 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
We seem to be having a worm going around our office, it attacks Microsoft entourage email client.

Has totally f*ck*d our account director, as her entire inbox, folders, outbox, and contacts has been eaten (gobble, gobble, gobble).

Not funny when all the projects, and all the contacts you've been working with over the past year go u in smoke...

And when I asked them if they back up, they all looked at me blankly!

IT guy is nice chap, but doesn't seem to be quite upto speed on a few things, think that might well be a lack of resources and time as much as anything else..

Anyone got any details of this???

You need something like Dantz retrospect. This can backup Mac and windows clients the a wide range of devices such as AIT, DAT, DLT etc. It can also be configures to do timed incrmental backups. Great product used by most Mac installations.

I can send you some details to tomorrow. Ita not very expensive and worht its weight in gold and mcuh cheaper than recovering your data. What antivirus package do you run out of interest and is it on a subscription service so the definitions are updated automatically.

AllanB
Old 09 September 2004, 09:33 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Are you sure its a worm?

MS Entourage has a habit of dumping mailboxes once they get to a certain amount of messages in the box? It particularly affected the Office X version. It could also be a Macro virus from Word.

My Entourage on my old machine gave me the impression that I had lost everything, I just rebooted a couple of times and they came back. I then learned it was common for Entourage to do this so I moved to Apple Mail instead Which has so far been nowt short of excellent.
Old 09 September 2004, 09:52 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask is this on a pre-OSX machine?
Old 09 September 2004, 10:09 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Saw something recently when Outlook Express lost everything, what had happened was another identities folder has got created in the same folder as the Outlook application and OE decided to start using that. The real identity folder was in the Microsoft User data folder on the root of the HD, worth checking, I *think* Entourage uses the same mechanism.
Of course this is assuming you are OS9.x rather than OSX, not sure about how it is stored under OSX...

Rich
Old 09 September 2004, 10:28 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you have things sorted I'd implement anti-virus servers at the backend. Those should be capturing suspect mail long before it get's to any users mailbox.

Out of interest, are there anti-virus programmes available for the Mac?

Stefan
Old 09 September 2004, 10:52 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/uk/pro...ktop/virex.htm
Old 09 September 2004, 11:03 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah good stuff. Wouldn't be like a Mac user to not bother with anti-virus software since they only affect/target Microsoft systems
Old 09 September 2004, 01:28 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Forgot to ask is this on a pre-OSX machine?
Nope it's an emac with OSx...

And yes, they all had massive amounts of emails, going into gigs
Old 09 September 2004, 01:31 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Ah good stuff. Wouldn't be like a Mac user to not bother with anti-virus software since they only affect/target Microsoft systems
Microsoft software though
Old 09 September 2004, 02:50 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Update.

Forwarded on your thoughts to the IT director...

He said it is most likely to be entourage not being able to cope with the amount of emails (over 2gigs in most cases), and also that sometimes a corrupt email can bork the whole system.

Thanks for your advice, trying to swat up on macs, I'm pretty strong with PC's but need to get upto speed on macs..

Cheers

Nick
Old 09 September 2004, 02:50 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Must be a mailbox problem then. There aren't any OSX worms. I would search the MS support section of the Mactopia site and see if you can find something up there.
Old 09 September 2004, 08:06 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Must be a mailbox problem then. There aren't any OSX worms. I would search the MS support section of the Mactopia site and see if you can find something up there.
Well I thought it was pretty odd when it was announced there was a worm, but then the account directors face had gone white, then green, then red! And she'd lost her entire inbox and outbox, and her contacts too. So that's why I posted on here, as I have only been using OSX for 3 weeks..