Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL line and plugging in two connections to 2 wall points instead of wireless...

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2004, 11:58 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the same way that a normal analog modem won't. Does not the ADSL modem need to here a dial tone or something before it tries to connect? Have you actually tried it ?
Old 06 September 2004, 12:26 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

You won't need to switch the PC off upstairs, just the ADSL router/modem.

I've got a similar setup. We had a free USB modem when we joinded but I soon replaced that with a combined modem/router/firewall/switch. We have a phone line in the lounge as well but rather than run a Cat5 cable down to it from the switch upstairs I'm just going to use the USB modem for the laptop when I need to.

I'd be interested if this works as I've not done it myself yet.
Old 06 September 2004, 12:40 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Yes and No are the answers.

Yes its physically possible to split the line in three rather than two. It is the ISP that will block you from sharing the line. This can be bypassed by using a fake IP software.

Will print up instructions if you like.
Old 06 September 2004, 12:45 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Oh and remember if they catch you doing this you will be banned.

In australia, they have 8mbit and 10 mbit using two modems stacked but only one phone line.

In essence you would be stealing double bandwidth.
Old 06 September 2004, 12:48 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

And in case anyone tells you its not possible

http://www.acd.net/dsl/ResDSLPricing.htm

Shared line DSL pricing.
Old 06 September 2004, 12:57 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

Dont think it can be done because it has a carrier frequency that would clash with 2 modems. Unless you can run one at bandwidth higher than another and make sure enough filtering is applied on your line to prevent cross talk between your two carrier bandwidths. By the time you get it working, it would be way more expensive than just getting a wireless router setup.

Just a thought

Just an idea - you could probably setup so that your first modem would use bandwidth bewteen say 100kHz-200kHz for upload and modem B would take up 200kHz-300kHz and then your download would take say 300-500kHz for modem A and then 500-700kHz for modem B. Frequency band is a guess BTW but you get the picture

Last edited by prana; 06 September 2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06 September 2004, 01:00 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Try searching for A4PROXY on whatever you favour for downloads

A4Proxy generates a fake IP when you select one of these options: "Simulate HTTP_CLIENT_IP" or "Simulate HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR_IP" (Proxy Options tab). The presence of these variables in the request tells the website the following: "the request is made through a non-anonymous proxy server, and the IP address of the client is x.x.x.x", where x.x.x.x is the fake IP address generated by A4Proxy.
As a result, an anonymous connection made through an anonymous proxy server appears for the website as a connection made through a NON-anonymous proxy, and there is an IP address which looks like a true IP address of the client.

Now, that doesn't mean that every website will actually bother analyzing the "Client-IP" and "Forwared-for-IP" variables. Some websites analyze such info and others don't. Those which do analyze it will be fooled, and those which don't analyze it will only record the IP address of your proxy server.

Instead of sending a random fake IP address, which is the default behavior of A4Proxy, you can also make it send one and the same specific IP address in the "fake info" field. In order to do so, you must first enable one of the simulate-ip options mentioned above, and then create an request modification on the Browser Options tab, to replace the random fake IP address generated by A4Proxy with the IP address of your choice.

If you select "Simulate HTTP_CLIENT_IP", then you must modify "Client_IP" variable. If you select "Simulate HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR_IP", then you must modify "FORWARDED_FOR_IP" variable.
Old 06 September 2004, 01:02 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Try searching for A4PROXY on whatever you favour for downloads

A4Proxy generates a fake IP when you select one of these options: "Simulate HTTP_CLIENT_IP" or "Simulate HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR_IP" (Proxy Options tab). The presence of these variables in the request tells the website the following: "the request is made through a non-anonymous proxy server, and the IP address of the client is x.x.x.x", where x.x.x.x is the fake IP address generated by A4Proxy.
As a result, an anonymous connection made through an anonymous proxy server appears for the website as a connection made through a NON-anonymous proxy, and there is an IP address which looks like a true IP address of the client.

Now, that doesn't mean that every website will actually bother analyzing the "Client-IP" and "Forwared-for-IP" variables. Some websites analyze such info and others don't. Those which do analyze it will be fooled, and those which don't analyze it will only record the IP address of your proxy server.

Instead of sending a random fake IP address, which is the default behavior of A4Proxy, you can also make it send one and the same specific IP address in the "fake info" field. In order to do so, you must first enable one of the simulate-ip options mentioned above, and then create an request modification on the Browser Options tab, to replace the random fake IP address generated by A4Proxy with the IP address of your choice.

If you select "Simulate HTTP_CLIENT_IP", then you must modify "Client_IP" variable. If you select "Simulate HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR_IP", then you must modify "FORWARDED_FOR_IP" variable.

I think you got IP addressing and ADSL copper line sharing mixed up - maybe ?
Old 06 September 2004, 01:08 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

No, this is to surf anonamously so that your ISP doesn't detect to modems sharing the same IP.

The telphone line operates on frequencies and separates into channels. All you need is a seperate frequency and your away.
Old 06 September 2004, 01:10 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Also when you say you have no money for wireless, you can get 2 x DLINK PCI wireless adaptors for £9.99 each from ebuyer and and share the connection.

Under £20
Old 06 September 2004, 01:39 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

just get yourself a cheapo adsl wireless router 4-port and SPI firewall for about £37! have a look at www.qtds.com. i am using it and i cant believe how reliable it is!!! you get lots of techies to support it at forum at adsltech.com
Old 06 September 2004, 01:40 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Can you route a Cat5 down the wall or something? I'll probably end up doing that...
Old 06 September 2004, 01:48 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will not work. ADSL modems work by using the higher frequencies not used by voice to connect to the DSLAM in the exchange. Two modems on the same PSTN circuit would simply throw each other off every time they connect because they are both trying to do the same thing. More info on how ADSL works here http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/

It is of course easy to connect 2 (or more) PCs to an ADSL router/modem by either connecting both machines via Ethernet cable to the Router (assuming it has a built in switch/hub) or connecting a hub/switch to the router and then connecting the PCs to the hub/switch. This will require you running cable (Cat 5 Ethernet) from the downstairs PC to the router upstairs.
Old 06 September 2004, 03:13 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

You don't need a wireless router to share an internet connection just the two cards, one PCMIA and a PCI (wireless) for under £20.

Then use internet connection sharing.

I have done this on the cheap for someone and it works fine.
Old 06 September 2004, 03:45 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
You don't need a wireless router to share an internet connection just the two cards, one PCMIA and a PCI (wireless) for under £20.

Then use internet connection sharing.

I have done this on the cheap for someone and it works fine.
It might 'work just fine', but it's a poor solution. The PC connected to the ADSL modem would have to be on all the time, even when not in use itself.
Using a wireless router is a much better solution, as most of them have basic firewalls built in.

(Oh, and a USB WLAN 'dongle' is more transferrable than either a PCMCIA or PCI version, and probably cheaper.)
Old 06 September 2004, 04:54 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

But he stated that "I don't have the money for that"

So P2Peer net it is then.

And yes it has to be on one computer all the time, so if it not in a bedroom then no problem as this used very little power, esp if monitor is off.

Of course I release router is best option, but after being told its not an option, I see no problem with my solution, which is tried and tested.

Then of course at a later date add a wireless router/switch with hardware firewall and you already have the cards.
Old 06 September 2004, 04:55 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Oh and please point me in the direction of a USB dongle (wireless) cheaper than £9.99.

That is the same price for a PCMIA as well.