Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IT Jobs in Cardiff (or South Wales generally)?

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 11:57 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT Jobs in Cardiff (or South Wales generally)?

A friend of mine is looking to relocate to Cardiff, but can't currently find a job there.

He has several years of IT (primiarly with NT/Intel platforms) in a cusomter facing environment, including large banks in the city and The London Stock Exchange.

NT4, W2K and W2k3 experience - Server side
Win9x, NT4, W2K and XP experience - PC side

Are his expectations of £15 per hour or £25k per year unrealistic?

Any agencies that may be of use?

Thanks
ANdy
Old 03 September 2004, 12:07 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Has he found any jobs he like's the look off regardless of money?

Some still say that the IT market is flat and flooded with underqualifed mcse's. Where as others say the IT job market has picked up again.

I'd say 25k was abit high however it really depends on what exactly he is best at doing. General desktop support roles can go from about 12k-25k. Server support is more.

Darren
Old 03 September 2004, 01:09 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

TBH I believe he is setting his sights too high. If it were the South East, I'd say the salary would be a little under, but probably realistic. For Cardiff, I don't really know!
Old 03 September 2004, 01:12 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Guys

IT job market is picking up but not in south wales and especially not in cardiuff.. Cardiff has never been that good for IT jobs anyway, but you will find the jobs that are out there are lower paid than they were say 3 years ago. If i was your friend I would look for roles the other side of the bridge as the availlability of positions is higher and the salaries much greater.. This would mean a train or car commute but hey the jobs are there...

r
J
Old 03 September 2004, 01:41 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

im working in IT in cardiff (well Ponty) at the moment and yes the other side of the bridge will bring more money for sure. Desktop support goes from 10k upwards I find. He could be looking for 25k with a team leaders job or server support. My place now even for desktop support you need a degree in computing and active directory experience among other things due to so many people applying which says a lot for how many IT jobs are around here.

Last edited by mike1210; 03 September 2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03 September 2004, 02:26 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day it's what £80 per month (IIRC) for an electronic pass on the bridge, so it's not a major expense, especially if the jobs are paying much more!
Old 03 September 2004, 02:32 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Used to work in Swindon - lots of the guys commuted from Cardiff way
Old 03 September 2004, 03:15 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Yep i have commuted from cardiff to swindon in the past. I now commute from near chepstow to bristol each day and the tag is £80 pr month. Not bad really when you look at bristol salaries.. I recently appointed a guy who was working in cardiff as a senior developer and he earned 23k in cardiff and now is on at least 10k more than that in bristol.. madness.. but the demand is in the south west and so wages rise, plus the living costs in the bristol area are much higher than that of south wales, although some areas like chepstow/magor/cardiff are closely catching up now.

J