Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone who plays Battlefield Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2004, 10:09 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone who plays Battlefield Vietnam

I love the Vietnam mod of BF1942,the WWII and Point of Existence. However the developers have gone to all the trouble of introducing foliage (i.e. Trees, Grass etc) but I can't understand why?

Ok so you can now hide in the grass if a tank rolls past but whats the point? As soon as the opposition sweeps the general area that he thinks you might be in your team colour and name highlights above you giving away your position.

You might aswell walk around with a huge fookoff neon sign above your head saying 'I'm here - shoot me please'.

When I saw BFV advertised I got quite excited. Although BF1942 was good you could snipe people from, what seemed like, miles away due to the lack of proper cover. So when BFV boasted proper cover I took the plunge and bought the game.

So you can imagine my frustration 5 mins into the game. An enemy tank rolls towards me, **** it I think I'll lay down in the grass and wait for him to go by. Utter tiits. He sees my name and team colour (giving away my position)and lands a shell in my face. And so it continued in various other circumstances during the rest of the game.....

I simply don't get it - for me it takes the whole fun and overall realism out of the game. Surely if they just turned off this feature and only used it for Friendly Fire purposes it would cure it.

Is anyone else who plays this frustrated by this or is it just me?

Cheers
M
Old 02 September 2004, 11:03 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

funnily enough the foliage p*sses me off in bfv
You get shot and have no idea where from as you cant see the person hidden away
and i hate how snipers hide and camp in the foliage

i much prefer the openness and lack of foliage in bf1942
sstops peoople camping and means they have to be on the move more

i dont play bfv anymore
much prefer the originaland desert combat mod
Old 02 September 2004, 11:17 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about the name tags, but it's not all that bad. I never played BF1942 so can't comment on the old maps but after getting bored of BFV, the WWII mod brings a new lease of life to the game, the 3 new maps are excellent but hate all the campers, happens on all FPS games though really.

Another thing is the amount of fog on most maps, I'd prefer it if you could see a bit further although there would probably be even more sniping then...
Old 03 September 2004, 12:14 AM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

you should definitely get the original bf1942 just to play the desert combat mod

Its basically USA vs iraq
The professionalism of this mod is amazing
it seems like a whole new game

You wil never go back to either vietnam or ww2 after this
Old 03 September 2004, 10:38 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Chump - I believe you can turn them off, it is a server admin function though, not something we have done with our server.
Old 03 September 2004, 02:19 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

On our server we have the tag's turned off.

My clan liked BFV initially, but once the newness wore off, we are moving back to 1942 & DC.

Still a good game - but too much of "where the **** did that come from"