Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DRAM error?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2004, 06:16 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRAM error?

New build PC. Two sticks of DRAM, one 1Gb and one 512Mb. I can't get them to both run together. They are both DDR, 2700, 333. Individually fine but when put together it either reads the first one it comes to only or gives a DRAM error beep code.

Just had a thought.....is DDRAM parity/non-parity, ECC/non-ECC etc? I know SDRAM is - i suspect this might be the problem......If this is the case is there an easy way to recognise the type of RAM if it's not on the label?

I feel a "doh!" coming on....
Old 27 August 2004, 07:14 PM
Pars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonH
New build PC. Two sticks of DRAM, one 1Gb and one 512Mb. I can't get them to both run together. They are both DDR, 2700, 333. Individually fine but when put together it either reads the first one it comes to only or gives a DRAM error beep code.

Just had a thought.....is DDRAM parity/non-parity, ECC/non-ECC etc? I know SDRAM is - i suspect this might be the problem......If this is the case is there an easy way to recognise the type of RAM if it's not on the label?

I feel a "doh!" coming on....
Mixed RAM can be fraught with problems. A few years ago I bought an ostensibly 'identical' stick to upgrade my then rig. On paper I had bought identical RAM; in the box I brought about a continous cycle of pre-OS rebooting :\

Buy RAM from the same batch all at once wherever possible.
Old 27 August 2004, 07:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I assume you checked that the mobo supports mixed sizes ?