Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problem with McAfee Internet Security Suite

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2004, 12:55 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with McAfee Internet Security Suite

Putting this up as a new thread as I need people to see it

Following my other virus related thread I have cleaned all scumware from my PC now (WinXP Pro). But I still haven't got my web access back. I can dialup/connect and even ping IP addresses but not ping or connect to URLs/websites

I deinstalled McAfee Internet Security Suite 6 as I had a feeling it wasn't working right, and voila suddenly I got full internet access back. To prove a point I reinstalled it and immediately I lost my web access again. So I installed the separate elements of the suite again to isolate the troublemaker. Only problem was that it wouldn't allow me to install Privacy Service like this. I got to the point where I had VirusScan, Personal Firewall and SpamKiller installed and I still had web access, but I couldn't install Privacy Service. So I deinstalled the lot again and did another standard 'Complete' installation and again I immediately lost web access.

I have been through every nook and cranny of Privacy Service playing around with all settings, even turning Privacy Service off, but nothing helps. Once Privacy Service is installed from that point on I lose my web access.

Any ideas would be much appreciated
Old 24 August 2004, 01:33 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

You could try searching through here or even join and post your problem up to the Support people

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewforum.php?f=43

Cheers Nick
Old 26 August 2004, 10:44 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nicks VR4
You could try searching through here or even join and post your problem up to the Support people

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewforum.php?f=43

Cheers Nick

Cheers Nick. After hours spent online trying to sort out this problem, and little in the way of direct help coming from the McAfee support team for this issue I was ready to give up and switch back to using Norton. But then I found one thread where a guy had exactly the same problem as me and managed to resolve it.

Apparently the fault is with Norton and not McAfee. The deinstaller for Norton is buggy and leaves Norton-crap all over your system. When you then install McAfee it doesn't like the Norton debris and falls over. Norton know it is a problem and even provide tools and advice for properly cleaning their software from your hard drive when the 'Remove Programs' control panel has made a pathetic attempt at it.

It would have saved me so much time though if this issue was flagged up by BOTH software manufacturers in their documentation. From what I read on the McAfee forums there are lots of people like me switching from Norton to McAfee - and an equal number of dissatisfied new McAfee users who find they lose their web access as soon as they install McAfee!!
Old 26 August 2004, 12:45 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Hi blip

Doh! I should have thought of that I had problems getting rid of Norton a while ago
Been using McAfee TVD 4.5 for ages when suddenly Norton pops up and tries to install itself on my PC (OEM deal) never did anything for Norton to install

Tried canceling the install and got Blue Screen of Death rebooted and Norton is trying to connect to web and causing TVD to not work
Also stopped downloading the Dats for McAfee too

Managed to unistall Norton but did a check and found bits still on PC
Did a search on Norton site and mangaged to find a small .exe to uninstall all the crud from Norton its called something like RNAV....

Glad you got it sorted mate and this will help others in trouble plus your other thread

Nick