Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

F in Ebuyer

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 05:50 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down F in Ebuyer

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhh RANT

I took the plung and bought a Netgear Wireless modem Router and PCMCIA card. end of May

The above had a speacial offer on..... Buy the router and get the card free

GREAT!! so I spent my money!!

Less than 2 month down the line the connection to the laptop keeps dropping.

With the laptop less than 2 metres away the signal strength wouls still NOT reach 100% , nor would the Mbps go above 36...

Visited the Netgear website and followed ALL!!! the instructions...(and help from SN)

Anyways.... borrowed a friends card and established it was the card that was not functioning correctly....

Spoke to Netgear Technical support (they realised I had tried everything) and asked that I return the faulty product to where it was purchased...

.............. requested an RMA from the above (still can't bring myself to type the name) explaining that I had identyfied it was the card and stated that the router was FINE.....

RMA number received.....

PCMCIA card sent

Email recived: we MUST receive the router (as it was a special offer) to allow us to process the order.

Router sent.

Email received:

Dear ,

QuickFind:61946 - NETGEAR DG834G ADSL Modem and 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router with FREE WG511T
802.11g PC Card

During the processing of your order we have discovered the item(s) listed above are not currently
in stock to be dispatched. If the product is still shown on the website with a lead time of less
than 99 days then it is out of stock, however if it no longer appears when you attempt to search
for it or it has a lead time of 99 days, it is now discontinued.

Please note: At the time of this email the above product was out of stock, however things may have
changed and the item(s) may now be back in stock. If your order status is showing as "Payment
Taken" this means the item is available and your order is being processed. Therefore you may
ignore this email.

Where possible we have already allocated any other items on your order for 48 hours (this only
applies to products held in our own warehouses). This gives you the opportunity to remove/replace
the out of stock item(s) for one that is available, without losing the items you have already
ordered.

If you do not change your order within 48 hours from time of placement we will remove any
allocatation and make this stock available to other customers orders.

I left it a week or so to give them a chance to get the product back in stock...

Sent email to them today only to receive the following response:

NETGEAR DG834G ADSL Modem and 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router with FREE WG511T 802
The above item(s) is currently out of stock and is not available for dispatch.

Please call contact us via ENotes to inform us whether you would like us to replace the out of stock item(s) with an alternative or cancel the item(s) so that we can ship the rest of the order without further delay. If you opt for an alternative item then please supply our quick find code and we will amend the order accordingly.

If no contact is made within the next 48 hours, the offending item(s) will be removed and refunded and a free shipping credit applied to your account, to cover the cost of carriage on a replacement order. The free shipping credit will qualify you for free delivery on our standard delivery service.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any annoyance and disappointment this may cause you.

Regards,

ebuyer returns.

I have just spoken with the Netgear support desk and explained the situation....

They advised that I hould get it all back from the above and NETGEAR will replace the faulty item direct.....

NETGEAR 1

the above (not worth mentioning) ZERO

anyone else with this type of experience.....

I understand the sales of goods act states something that the seller is responsible for a product that should 'do what it says on the box', but it's just tooooooooo much hassle with them....

If I didn't know better, i would have thought they were trying to get me to pay more for the same product (at the price they arenow
cheers for reading.......

I have bought quite a few things from them and the 'sale' is excellent!!
thumbs down from me on this one!!

phil (fedup)
but hungry!!
Old 13 August 2004, 05:57 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

The DG834G now comes with a FOC WG511 instead and TBH thats the better card for the DG router.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:44 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

there are issues with the 834g firmware in all recent versions - netgear have taken a hammering over it in the us - it is worst of all when using mixed B and G and when using netgears own w-lan cards !! - especially when the latter have not also had the firmware flashed to latest revision.

best you can do with these is to revert the router firmware to the earliest version you can download ;-) and not use B and G together.

If you use the netgear configuration applet in windows xp, try using windows itself to configure the w-lan card - if you disable 802.11x authentication - aka wpa in the advanced properties and just use straight wep then in general things will work ok .

NB don't apply xp sp2 either - it shafts the netgear card configurations right royally - warning warning !

wg834g should have been a great product - I will not buy Netgear ever again.

Paul W
Old 13 August 2004, 09:49 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

ps - ebuyer returns process sucks - it probably also breaches consumer rights - they should not be allowed to make the consumer pay to return items that are not fit for purpose and certainly not pay a restocking charge which they love to apply - they would be hung for that in the USA !

NB check every item on your account ledger to make sure they haven't diddled you in the returns process - I had to ask to have several charges removed when returning an item they sent in error!

my advice - use aria.co.uk instead
Old 14 August 2004, 11:49 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwebb
ps - ebuyer returns process sucks - it probably also breaches consumer rights - they should not be allowed to make the consumer pay to return items that are not fit for purpose and certainly not pay a restocking charge which they love to apply - they would be hung for that in the USA !

NB check every item on your account ledger to make sure they haven't diddled you in the returns process - I had to ask to have several charges removed when returning an item they sent in error!

my advice - use aria.co.uk instead
Thats not unique some other resellers do that, normally the ones who sell dirst cheap and offer little service, but thats what you sacrifice to save a quid or two. How much has the shipping cost you compared to the saving you made on the initial purchase ? Anyone can ship stuff out cheap, the real test iw what they do when something goes wrong.

AllanB