Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet explorer deployment help

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2004, 11:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Internet explorer deployment help

I have a friend who doesn't have access to broadband etc. and who has just had a virus destroy her machine. She is going to install Win 2000 and using my broadband connection I can download the full install of SP4 for W2K so that at least brings her W2K install fairly up to date.

Is there a similar file I can download that brings her version of IE up to date? I guess that the version off the W2K CD is probably 5.0 or similar. I know that it is a simple matter of going to the Microsoft downloads site to get IE6 SP1 but it does that trick of just downloading a small installer which then copies over the files as required. That just isn't practical on a modem so I was hopeful that someone could point me at a large file download that I could burn on to a CD for her that would give her the full IE 6 SP1 download.

I know that there is a security rollup for this and already have it so once she gets to IE6 she can then apply the rollup.

MS don't make this easy for someone on a slow modem connection. She will probably also need the service packs for her Office 2000 install as well.

Is there any easy and general way to find these rollup or network install type files on the MS site? They seem to be pushing the windows update a lot but in this situation it just isn't practical.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01 August 2004, 11:00 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I've got all the 2000 service packs and updates at work on our SUS server. Want me to burn them onto a CD?

You used to be able to download the full IE installation from here but now it appears only as the single file that grabs all the required files from the internet during installation.

Have a look here for office updates.

Darren
Old 01 August 2004, 01:16 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offer Darren, now that you mention it I can probably do something similar myself and save you the bother. I am amazed that MS don't still offer that option of just downloading the full installation file from their site. I have searched but can't find it and thought that perhaps I was losing my marbles. Going through the windows update process after a new install is fine on broadband but would probably take a full month on a modem.

The funny thing is that the adds at the bottom of this thread offer "free internet browsers" and you can download the latest version of IE with spyware etc. built in. Why will MS not just let me download a "clean" version?

Oh well, I will nip over and get the Office 2000 updates as well, as you suggested, and burn them on to a CD.
Old 01 August 2004, 01:59 PM
ChrisB

It is possible to run the IE6 set-up stub with some command line parameters to just download the full install source.

I'll PM you a link to my download page which has full versions of IE zipped into one file for download. No spyware in these!

Chris.