Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Connecting Mac clients to a windows2000 domain

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2004, 12:22 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Connecting Mac clients to a windows2000 domain

Just inherited a mac network, with its own mac server (all mac os x).

We want to merge it with our windows2000 domain, as at the moment people have logon/password on mac and logon/password on pc.

Is it possible to make the macs look at the windows2000 domain for their logon information? and then when they logon to the windows2000 domain, a mapping will take place on the mac which will point to the mac server drives, as well as the windows2000 drives...

also does any remote control software work on the pc that can allow u to remote control mac computers?

any information on any of the above welcome
Old 19 July 2004, 12:48 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Mac server just handing out shares or is it a full version of Mac OS X Server?

I'd start reading http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/

I seem to remembe Markus or someone on here has something to do with a company which writes admin tools and ActiveDirectory software for the Mac.

I'd start by investigating whether Apple's OpenDirectory (LDAP) can look-up or read/write to ActiveDirectory. Obviously you'll still need to write scripts to map the Windows shares via Samba.

On the topic of remote admin, there's the old favourite of VNC. The best Mac server I've used is Share My Desktop, with TightVNC as the PC client. You can also get Remote Desktop Client for the Mac.

If this is your first experience as a Mac sysadmin, take a look at CarbonCopyCloner too.

Good luck
Old 19 July 2004, 12:52 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, yep thown in the deep end, and the guy who was in charge has left and with no documentation! great eh?

It is a full version of Mac OS X Server. Macs log onto its domain with thier networked logon/password, and the "drives" are mapped etc..