Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

good old D*ll have done it again....

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 05:33 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good old D*ll have done it again....

just received a pc & the hd has just packed up after 10mins a record i think.....
Old 07 July 2004, 05:42 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

do you reckon i should get a complete new pc or just accept the reconditioned hd theyll put in....
Old 07 July 2004, 05:49 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Never really heard of anyone doing recon hard drives before. I am sure Dell do not either..
Old 07 July 2004, 06:11 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

In my experience Dell have been top notch. I've bought about 30 desktops off of them and I've only had one monitor and one hard disk failure in the first 3 years of ownership, many of the PC's are 4 years old now and still going strong.

Mark
Old 07 July 2004, 06:57 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

We had a duff on delivery Dell, howeevr not straight forward :

1) BSoD on initial “finalising setup”;
2) Restart, setup completed ok (after starting from Regional settings screen). Issued machine out to user – found it kept locking up;
3) Assumed faulty Windows, Repartition and format as NTFS, setup. Locked up on first part of Setup (i.e. numlock didn’t even function);
4) Tried setup again, BSoD on "Configuring network" part of setup (after regional settings screen);
5) Directed by Dell to run diagnostics from boot menu, all tests passed fine. Told by Dell it must be a software issue (no software been installed, purely the Windows recovery disc they supplied, no settings changed);
6) Repartition again, FAT file system. Just after network settings, "Cannot install hardware device: System". Continued anyway, BSoD towards end of setup ;
I reckon it must be a hardware fault, as I have used the same recovery CD in exactly the same process on one of the other machines in the batch (our fault, installed our phone system incorrectly), and it went through no problems, however Dell keep saying it's software. It MUST be hardware, no???!!!

On the plus side, we had a PSU blow up - they sent us out a new pc, top spec, with office 2003 pro (old one had 2000) and didn't want the old machine!