Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox: Full Spectrum Warrior. Anyone Bought it?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2004, 07:21 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox: Full Spectrum Warrior. Anyone Bought it?

Just wondering. I am very tempted to buy this but wouldn't mind a 'liddle' bit of feedback as to what it's like regarding graphics gameplay etc etc. Brilliant? Crap? So-so?
Thanks.

Old 05 July 2004, 07:35 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

You can't fault the graphics and gameplay. It's kind of like Command & Conquer but close up Lots of strategy and superb visuals, but if strategy is not your thing then best to look elsewhere. But if it is . . . .
Old 05 July 2004, 11:01 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dunk, think I'll get this...
Old 06 July 2004, 09:39 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Thanks Dunk, think I'll get this...
Great game .. looks the dogs ... takes a little time to get use to all the types of commands.. worth getting ...
Old 06 July 2004, 05:39 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I got this in the end, it's really good.

It isn't that long, but is very good. Hopefully there will be some new levels and stuff on DLC at somepoint in the future. But I'm having fun redoing it at the harder levels.

I started on the easiest (maybe a mistake) and it wasn't really that hard. I am currently doing it on Authentic and this basically gets rid of all the on screen icons (ie there is no flashing icon over an enemy telling you if his is behind cover, dead etc...), gets rid of information on your ammo, and gets rid of the save points, and is generally harder.

There is also an Army mode - much less polished and refined (this is supposedly the training bit), slightly different engine IIRC, different controls etc.. But again, quite good fun and you can customise number of enemy, their aggression, number of civvies etc...

It isn't a FPS though, if anyone is thinking it is - I have heard of people slating it but they didn'r really understand what the game was about, thinking it was some kind of shooter.

To be honest, I think it is a great game and I hope that they come up with some followups to it - they really could have a library of games from different wars and battles - having recently watched Saving Private Ryan again, a WWII one would be cool.
Old 06 July 2004, 06:21 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Is it in anyway like Desert Storm? At times that could get interesting tactics wise.
Old 07 July 2004, 01:04 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Sorry, never played Desert Storm!

Its very simple in theory. You have two squads of four soldiers (each having a team leader, rifleman, Automatic rifleman and a grenadier) and you basically tell them where to go, where to aim etc. The only actual shooting you take control of is throwing grenades (smoke or frag), the dude with the grenade launcher and setting the target for an air strike.

The tactics come in because you can't just aim at the target(s) and kill them - like you they take cover. Some of the cover, like cars for example, degrade and I think look pretty cool as they do - windows smashing, bullet holes etc. Some forms of cover degrade faster than others - a wall is pretty much secure, but take cover behind a sofa or something and that will be ripped to shreds (as will your men) in seconds.

Because they take cover you have to flank them - draw fire with one squad while the other finds a position to get a shot.

I may be wrong but one thing I think I have noticed on the harder levels is that the enemy AI is a bit better and they retreat a bit more. ie if you flank a guy hiding behind a wheelie bin and he sees you, instead of being behind no cover he will move.

I watched Black Hawk Down again last night, and you get a similar feel from this game to the film, which is pretty cool.
Old 07 July 2004, 01:39 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnMcC

I watched Black Hawk Down again last night, and you get a similar feel from this game to the film, which is pretty cool.
Good enough for me! Sold. Next step find the best price....

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 07 July 2004, 01:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

is this game purely for xbox? or does anyone know if this will be on pc at some point?
Old 07 July 2004, 01:50 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Out on the pc a bit later in the year (end of september)

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...ctCode=RM00390
Old 07 July 2004, 01:57 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Out on the pc a bit later in the year (end of september)

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...ctCode=RM00390
thank you good news
Old 12 July 2004, 10:04 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

bought this at morrisons for £32 this weekend.
All i can say is Wow, what a game.
I was a huse mark for C&C games years ago, and thisa plays like a cross between that genre (on a smaller scale) and Ghost recon (in my view).
The language is...colourful to say the least (not a game for kiddies folks) but realistic, and I love the way the camera moes when the unit moves, makes you feel like you're with the unit.
Did anyone else think the first level was very much like Black Hawk Down in may ways?
Old 12 July 2004, 10:57 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Been playing this at the weekend. Great game so far! you really have a feel of the tactics involved. I like the way you actually start to care for your guys in a similar way you did in cannon fodder.

top game!
Old 15 July 2004, 12:04 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Arrived this morning from Play.com.
Hey....This looks quite good. Nice graphics, complicated control system so I guess the pc version will be very good (and in some ways more suited).
I understand the comment about Command and Conquer now. You never actually get to fire a shot yourself! Can imagine the game getting quite sophisticated in it's game play, which for me, is great. Just about to start my first real mission after the training sessions....Wish me luck
Old 15 July 2004, 01:13 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

the first mission is a nice warm up, ranging from not many "tangos" at the start to having to take out a machine gun emplacement at the end.
Overall I love the game so far and can't wait for the extra missions via download content.
Old 15 July 2004, 03:42 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
start to care for your guys in a similar way you did in cannon fodder.

top game!
CANNON FODDER , Now THAT takes me back

Matt