Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Burning MP3s to CD...

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2004, 01:04 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burning MP3s to CD...

I've ripped some CD tracks to MP3s (just bought the complete LotR trillogy CD set) and want to put them all onto one CD. I've used CDex to rip them. Do I just use Nero to burn as a Data CD? Can I keep the folder structure for each of the three disks (one folder per disk) or do I have to put them all in the root of the CD. How do you determin the play order? I'll have to change the file/title in that case as I assume it plays in numeric order? At the mo I have three track 1s, three track 2s etc as they are in the CD folders for each CD. If I move them all to the root will it play all the track 1s then all the track 2s..etc?

Cheers
Old 16 June 2004, 01:15 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

The folder structure you're going to use depends on what player the disc is intended for. If it's for playing on a PC, then the folder structure doesn't matter - use what you like. If it's for playing in a car HiFi, then you'll need to consult the manual of the in-car unit. That should specify whether there are folder/directory requirements.

You can specify track numbers as part of the ID3 tag (a set of data that describes the track) - some players (in-car kit, I imagine) may use that. You can also specify other useful stuff like track name, album name, music genre, artist name etc in the ID3 tag. Some players may need you to preface the track/file name with a number (e.g. 001_name.mp3). If it's for playing on a PC, don't worry, the spftware players don't care and you can assemble play lists regardless.

Logically, if it were me, I'd populate the data tags to the greatest extent possible. The place tracks on a given album in a folder. All such album folders would reside in an artist folder (or root if only one artist on the disc). Give the folders userful names like the artist name or album title.

Yes, you can burn the compliation with Nero. Some versions even allow you to specify that it's an MP3 disc you're making in the Wizard.
Old 16 June 2004, 01:43 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Fatman,

Thanks for the info. I intend to use them in a in-car player. I've not bought one yet but wanted to see how I get on with the ripping first. CDex allows you to download the song title info from the internet and adds this to the tracks. It shows as

01 - The Prophecy.mp3
02 - Concerning Hobbits.mps

etc...

When I play this in Win Media player it shows the albam, artist track info.

I'll take a look at some in-car MP3 players and see what they can do regarding folders. What determins the play order then, if they are all in the root? The version of Nero I have does not support MP3 burning.

Cheers
Old 16 June 2004, 01:50 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I use Windows Media Player for ripping. It seems to do a good job of populating the ID3 tags. You can also (IIRC) choose to preface the filename with a sequential number. Best to check with the manual of your intended in-car unit although, to be honest, they might all comply to the same standards for all I know! Try asking this question in the ICE forum.
Old 16 June 2004, 02:37 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

For the MP3 players I've had in my cars, you just put the MP3's in folders. The folders get played through in alphabetical order as do the tracks therein. Anything loose in the root of the disc will play before the folders, also in alphabetical order.

Tracks named 01, 02, 03 etc will play in that order
Old 16 June 2004, 02:55 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Fatman, Dunk,

I'll have to take a look at some players and check with the sales people if they can play in folders as well.

Cheers