Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin mobile problems

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2004, 08:59 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin mobile problems

Hi All

Unsure if this right forum but if your into PC's i assume your into mobiles too.

Okay, got a liddle problemo an' i need your help.

I have two Virgin "pay as you go" type simcards.
The problem is with voice messaging. I don't want voice messaging on either of them....
Now i know it doesn't cost to pick up the messages in the UK but the problem is both phones ( One Nokia 7210, t'other an Ericsson T68i) don't let the phone ring long enough before voicemail cuts in, so would like to switch voicemail off.
I phoned Virgin and went through their 20 million "press 1 for...", "press 2 for..." etc but only gives info on how to change greeting etc etc.

So...anyone tell me how to do it? Or at least change the number of rings before it goes to voicemail if nothing else.

Cheers for any help, it's driving me bonkers!!
Old 01 June 2004, 09:16 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

The reason this all came about is because i also have an Orange "pay as you go" sim card and... another phone... a Nokia 6210.

I swapped them over because one of the cars has a car kit, so being the good little law abiding person that i am, i swapped the sim cards over so that the Virgin sim card was in the Orange phone, which then went in to the car kit. making and receiving calls with these phones hasn't been a problem.

Problem was that someone left me a message on the phone and when i went to retrieve it, the phone called up Orange answerphone and not Virgins. Makes sense, since the phone the Virgin sim card is in is now in the "Orange" phone.

Strange thing after that though, was when i swapped the Virgin sim card back over into the original phone and tried again, the phone dialled up Orange answerphone again!!. Odd...

I changed Orange's answer phone number (in the Virgin phone) to the same number which is on the 2nd Virgin simcard phone and i got a pre-recorded message saying that my voicemail had been updated and to wait 5 minutes before trying again. As i ended the call i received a text from Virgin with no message.....
Done this a few times, even trying the switch off and back on again etc etc and same happens everytime ( and yes i did leave it for more than 5 minutes...) but same thing happens, i get an empty text in the inbox.

Phones Virigns helpline and went through all the pre-recorded messages and was told to dial 222.....

Dialled 222 and got a message saying "your voicemail has been updated. If you hear this again, switch the phone off then on and try your voicemail again"..... Did this and.....well, you can guess what happened. Same as before along with the empty text messages.

Only good thing about dialling 222 is that at least it allows you to access the messages left and the option to delete them, but I DON'T WANT VOICEMAIL!!.

Please help.....

Last edited by AlanG; 01 June 2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01 June 2004, 10:20 PM
Underwriter
Scooby Newbie

cant you just turn off the call divert setting on the phone
Old 02 June 2004, 10:13 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Nope. Just tried that. Sorry. Sould have said, yes you can cancel the call divert on the phone but it still goes to voicemail.

It wouldn't be so bad if the phone rang for like 10 or 20 rings before going to voicemail, but on the Nokia you get between 4-5 rings before going to voicemail and the Ericsson only rings 3 times before diverting, so you've got to answer pretty quick.

Anyone able to help here ???
Old 02 June 2004, 12:43 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Surely somebody knows about mobile phones????