Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

why isn't my google toolbar blocking pop ups? pleeeze help.

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 07:01 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question why isn't my google toolbar blocking pop ups? pleeeze help.

gotta say firstly i know bugger all about computers so i'm probably doing something really stoopid.

somethings up with my computer, it needs 'looking' at but it does what i need it too except at the mo all i'm getting is friggin pop ups all the time!

i installed the google toolbar a while ago to get rid of this problem and it worked superbly, then about 2 months ago it seemed to start letting them through, i uninstalled it,reinstalled and everything works again ie. no pop ups (i don't use it for anything else) i've had to do this about 3 times now, but yesterday they started coming through and my usual solution isn't working, it isn't blocking any at all.

the blocking option is on, but it ain't working.

i use 'ad-aware 6.0' for scanning/cleaning(?) the system and nothings coming up.

is there a different pop up blocker i can download?(free ones if poss) or is there something more deep rooted in the computer that a different system scanner will pick up?

can anyone throw any light on this problem as it's driving me up the wall!

thanks
Old 27 May 2004, 12:33 AM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
gotta say firstly i know bugger all about computers so i'm probably doing something really stoopid.

somethings up with my computer, it needs 'looking' at but it does what i need it too except at the mo all i'm getting is friggin pop ups all the time!

i installed the google toolbar a while ago to get rid of this problem and it worked superbly, then about 2 months ago it seemed to start letting them through, i uninstalled it,reinstalled and everything works again ie. no pop ups (i don't use it for anything else) i've had to do this about 3 times now, but yesterday they started coming through and my usual solution isn't working, it isn't blocking any at all.

the blocking option is on, but it ain't working.

i use 'ad-aware 6.0' for scanning/cleaning(?) the system and nothings coming up.

is there a different pop up blocker i can download?(free ones if poss) or is there something more deep rooted in the computer that a different system scanner will pick up?

can anyone throw any light on this problem as it's driving me up the wall!

thanks
You could try the Jeeves toolbar which also has a pop up blocker unless you really want to stay with Google.
Old 27 May 2004, 06:25 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gus M
You could try the Jeeves toolbar which also has a pop up blocker unless you really want to stay with Google.
no, i couldn't care less what i use i just want rid of these things.

i'll give that a go, thanks
Old 27 May 2004, 10:56 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

could be spyware
Old 27 May 2004, 11:00 AM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

no, i couldn't care less what i use i just want rid of these things.

i'll give that a go, thanks
Probably best to download some virus checks before you do anything.
Cheers
Old 27 May 2004, 11:09 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Google Toolbar will only block pop-ups caused by web sites. Other applications running on your computer (nicknamed "Spyware") can cause pop-up windows to appear at any time.

Download and install Ad-Aware or Spybot and read the instructions. You should be able to get them both from http://www.download.com

Do you have any file sharing software installed, such as KaZaa? Perhaps other junk like Smiley Central or little apps which give you animated mouse cursors etc. These are the most common programs to have spyware embedded in them.
Old 27 May 2004, 06:39 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by class_A
Google Toolbar will only block pop-ups caused by web sites. Other applications running on your computer (nicknamed "Spyware") can cause pop-up windows to appear at any time.

Download and install Ad-Aware or Spybot and read the instructions. You should be able to get them both from http://www.download.com

Do you have any file sharing software installed, such as KaZaa? Perhaps other junk like Smiley Central or little apps which give you animated mouse cursors etc. These are the most common programs to have spyware embedded in them.
yep, been using adaware for a little while now and downloaded spybot last night (which seems to detect more spyware than adaware).

suspect the underlying problem is that i have no virus protection on the computer, so there is nothing to stop more spyware being put onto my computer? (numptie guessing here by the way) as i keep using spybot and each time i do, more things are detected. i delete them then more come back.

will try to find some virus checker downloads in a mo, as for the other stuff i wouldn't have a clue whats on my computer, my mate gave it to me a few years back.

thanks for all the help
Old 27 May 2004, 07:12 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

An adware Trojan which attempts to display internet pop-ups if the browser Microsoft Internet Explorer exists on the system.
The Trojan copies itself to the Windows system folder as a randomly named EXE and creates registry entries. Or maybe, a DialTop type virus that has infected your PC.

Definitely run a virus check
Old 27 May 2004, 10:40 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Angry i am going to kill my computer any second now

right, bit of an update, downloaded AVG 6.0 virus checker and run that, it found a few viruses one of which being the trojan mentioned by redkop (3 of them infact).
cleaned/got rid of them, ran skybot, it picked up 1 new thing, got rid of that.
ran adaware 16 new items can up, got rid of them and i'm STILL getting these poxy ******* popups.
currently got msn toolbar installed and it hasn't picked up a single one, surely there can't be anything else naughty left on my computer can there?

what the **** else can i do? any help would be great as i'm about to break my hand by punching this piece of **** into pieces.

ta
Old 28 May 2004, 12:16 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Download Stinger and give that a try.

You can also try taking a look at what ActiveX controls you have installed. Tools / Internet Options / Temporary Internet Files / Settings / View Objects. If you are unsure of these, you can right click and remove them all if you want. If they are needed then you will be prompted to download them again anyway.

H
Old 28 May 2004, 06:30 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HHxx
Download Stinger and give that a try.

You can also try taking a look at what ActiveX controls you have installed. Tools / Internet Options / Temporary Internet Files / Settings / View Objects. If you are unsure of these, you can right click and remove them all if you want. If they are needed then you will be prompted to download them again anyway.

H
thanks for that mate, i'll give that a go when i get back from work.

sorry to be a pleb, but how do i access the tools/internet options etc. like i say, i don't really know my way round a computer very well.
Old 28 May 2004, 10:59 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

ah-ha, found it. tried stinger and deleting files/options etc. still getting the odd popup.

has anyone found free spyware blocker downloads? i spent an hour and a half downloading some crap that said it was free only for at the last minute it asked for credit card details oh **** right off!

seem to get the same popups coming thru, any ideas?
Old 29 May 2004, 10:46 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Download SpywareBlaster from here
When I run Ad-aware and SpySweeper now, they only ever find one or two suss ones [sometimes none] since I installed SpywareBlaster.

You could always download Pop Up Washer from here too

By default, Webroot's Pop Up Washer starts automatically when you start Windows. When Pop Up Washer is running, a small icon displays next to your clock in the Windows system tray. If you right-click the icon, a menu will appear. Select "Allow Pop Ups" if you want to turn the program off temporarily. Select "Exit" to close the program and remove it from the system tray.

Last edited by Redkop; 29 May 2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 29 May 2004, 12:33 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having no anti virus, firewall or backups is equivalent to leaving all your work on the wall outside your house & hoping that it doesn't get nicked & it doesn't rain too much!

For anti virus look at McAfee virus scan, £30 for 1 year.
http://uk.mcafee.com/root/package.as...d=100&cid=9326

For firewall look at Zone Alarm, which is free for personal use.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ulist_download

For backups, look at using a CD writer or Zip disk for important data. (I use a tape drive & backup the entire pc contents.)

For a free pop-up stopper look at Panicware:
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html
Old 29 May 2004, 08:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nick
Having no anti virus, firewall or backups is equivalent to leaving all your work on the wall outside your house & hoping that it doesn't get nicked & it doesn't rain too much!
i agree completely with you mate! to be honest as i'm not clued up with computers it was something i just put on the back burner and i've only started to appreciate the advantages of protecting your system now it's started to go **** up

i'm just shocked that after 2 years of looking at all sorts of freaky **** on the internet that i've only picked up a few viruses along the way!

thanks for all the links nick and redkop (and any others)i'll have a damn good look thru them tommorow and try to sort this mess out

thanks again
Old 29 May 2004, 10:14 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

every time i fire up spybot, it detects 'DSO EXPLOIT' i delete it and them when i check again(3 times this evening) it comes back again.

any ideas?
Old 29 May 2004, 10:26 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

also don't forget to disable the windows messenger service..
Old 29 May 2004, 11:02 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every time i fire up spybot, it detects 'DSO EXPLOIT' i delete it and them when i check again(3 times this evening) it comes back again.

any ideas?
I use Adaware so can't help exactly. But try getting a firewall installed asap, in case you're getting re-zapped every few minutes.

Something I forgot, make sure that your bang up to date with all Windows Critical updates. In Internet Explorer, click Tools | Windows updates & follow the prompts. You only need to install the Critical updates. This will close any seceurity holes you have on your pc.
Old 30 May 2004, 10:57 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
I use Adaware so can't help exactly. But try getting a firewall installed asap, in case you're getting re-zapped every few minutes.

Something I forgot, make sure that your bang up to date with all Windows Critical updates. In Internet Explorer, click Tools | Windows updates & follow the prompts. You only need to install the Critical updates. This will close any seceurity holes you have on your pc.
cheers peeps, seems that since disabling the messenger service the pop ups have stopped coming thru HURRAH!!

which brings me to my next question/problem, what is a firewall? i've heard it mentioned but know nothing about it, is it easy to install one?

cheers
Old 30 May 2004, 11:09 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Zonealarm (previously mentioned) is a "Personal Firewall" software that sits on your computer. It's purpose is to prevent unauthorised receipt and transmission of data and/or monitoring of all communications via TCP/IP.

You get to see what's trying to communicate and decide whether to let it or not.

For a stand-alone home PC with no network, it's probably the best option.

J.