Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MCSA/MSCE/CISCO Networking Professional training with Computeach

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 12:22 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MCSA/MSCE/CISCO Networking Professional training with Computeach

Has anyone had experience of using Computeach for professional IT training (in any subject)? Are they worth using?

I've been looking at the MCSA/MCSE, CNA/CCNP Master Networking Professional course and was wondering if anyone on here had done this course or is undertaking it. What do you think to the course?

Thanks.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:51 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

They are very expensive to use IIRC

For MSCE, better to self-study and book yourself into your nearest test centre.

The likes of 70-210 and 70-215 are quite straight forward if you're already familiar with networks.
Depending what MSCE road you go down, some of the exams would be a nightmare without prepping yourself with questions similar to what you'll face in the exam.

There are a plethora of companies that offer mock tests. I have used several of them and I found 'Testking' to be the most accurate.
Each exam disk (or download) from testking costs about $30. This gives you a bank of approx 300 questions based on the actual MS exams. The questions are presented to you in a timed, multi-choice fashion which also helps you practice your timing.
For your money, you get the updates as well.

If you decide to go down the MCSE route, let me know just before you take the exam as I may be able to help with a bank of very accurate questions

Paul
Old 20 May 2004, 09:31 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at doing (in the following order):

Exam no. 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, Cisco 640-801, 642-891, 642-821, 642-831.

Which should give me the following:
MCP x7
Micro$oft Certified System Administrator
Micro$oft Certified Systems Engineer
Certified Cisco Network Professional
Certfied Cisco Network Professional

Core or Elective credits towards MCDBMA.
Old 23 May 2004, 09:26 AM
Gregstar
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy computeach

i paid £3500 2 years ago for my MCSE with computeach. i was not very impressed with their help, when i didnt understand some thing they just told me to read the mannual they sent. if you are really interested i can send you the details about the MCSE course they offer as i have all the book and training guides, they offer.
The best way to fund something like the is to get a career development loan, interest free for 2 yrs, but after that its 12.9% apr.
Old 23 May 2004, 12:42 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I would agree TestKing is the best way to go.
The questions they supply you with are practically identical to the Microsoft questions.

If you really want to spend a lot of money and get the qualification out of the way quickly then 'The Training Camp' (www.trainingcamp.com - i think) is the best place to go.

its a residential course that lasts 2 weeks and practically gurantees you they will get you through your qualification at the end of it. you take all your exams with them (they are an official test centre) and you know right away whether you've passed. its very costly though - it was £5k when i did mine 18 months ago (work paid so it wasnt a problem). its also very very hard work!! you start at 8am and go through till 6pm,then do loads of work on your own in the evening. its tough but well worth it IMO.

Frenchboy (MCDBA, MCSA)
Old 23 May 2004, 10:19 PM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

...and with training camps and Brain dumps we see why these "qualifications" mean nothing any more.

Steve
Old 24 May 2004, 08:32 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

J1nxy,

Can agree more. The IT market is flooded with so called 'Computer Experts' just because they spent £3000 on an MCSE course. The qualification without experience means jack

The qualification however along with pratical experience is very hand (that's why my employer is allowing me to do mine some time next year )

ScoobyWon't,

I'm not having a dig but do you really need to be an MCSA, MCSE, CCNP, CCNA? I personally think that sticking to one thing is the best approach i.e. desktops, servers, routers, networks, hardware, software etc.

I've no experience of this particular trainig centre, however Google found these
Google

Google again

Darren
Old 24 May 2004, 12:20 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
J1nxy,

Can agree more. The IT market is flooded with so called 'Computer Experts' just because they spent £3000 on an MCSE course. The qualification without experience means jack

The qualification however along with pratical experience is very hand (that's why my employer is allowing me to do mine some time next year )
You wont get any arguments from me on that one. In my case i have over 5 yrs experience with SQL server and it was nice to top it off with the qualification in only two weeks instead of arseing around with loads of exams over an extended period (that and the fact that work paid for it).

But yes I would never consider hiring someone without the relevant experience, in fact i'd go as far to say that i make a point of not hiring MCSE's in my department as i see too many of them (foreign workers in particular) that have hardly been near a network.

having said that, the network infrastructure exam is a bitch!
the rest are fairly straightforward (on the windows side).

the sql server exams are a little harder to 'fake' without genuine DB experience.

Frenchboy (also an IT Manager)
Old 24 May 2004, 02:45 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
I would never consider hiring someone without the relevant experience, in fact i'd go as far to say that i make a point of not hiring MCSE's in my department as i see too many of them (foreign workers in particular) that have hardly been near a network.
The plan of doing the courses via computeach is that the exams are spread out so I can gain experience in the field and earn the qualifications in my spare time. That way giving me both the experience and the qualification to go with it. Also being self-employed means that I don't have to show it to IT Managers but to clients who may wish to see that I can work at a professionally recognised level.
Old 24 May 2004, 03:13 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

ScoobyWon't.

I wouldn't touch computeach with somebody else's barge pole. A very good friend worked for said company and they should be shut down, all in my opinion of course. They claim you have passed their qualification criteria and then go on to take 3K off you, reality is there is no criteria, totaly con job. All in my opinion of course. I base on 15 years working in said IT industry.

Leigh