Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

laptop use in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 03:37 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question laptop use in Europe

- thought someone on here might be able to assist.

My C.E. has got a laptop and a Vodafone Connect card to remotely link to the internet.

He's planning a trip to the UK, Denmark and Holland (from New Zealand) and would like to check emails whilst in these countries.

Would the Vodafone Connect card operate in Europe and allow him to log on to the internet?

Or is there a different way he can use his laptop to achieve the same result? (he's set up a yahoo account for his email to be forwarded to).

any thoughts?
Old 18 May 2004, 08:07 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Cannot comment on Vodaphone connect, but if he travels a lot on business as I do,he might want to subscribe to something like IPass which will allow local call dialling to the internet in whatever city you are in around the globe.

Originally Posted by philc
- thought someone on here might be able to assist.

My C.E. has got a laptop and a Vodafone Connect card to remotely link to the internet.

He's planning a trip to the UK, Denmark and Holland (from New Zealand) and would like to check emails whilst in these countries.

Would the Vodafone Connect card operate in Europe and allow him to log on to the internet?

Or is there a different way he can use his laptop to achieve the same result? (he's set up a yahoo account for his email to be forwarded to).

any thoughts?
Old 18 May 2004, 08:41 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

He could also get a wireless card (if is laptop is not already wireless) and find an access point. Most airports are fully wireless enabled now and there are access points all over the major cities.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:52 PM
philc
Scooby Regular

thanx for the replies - we have some wireless cards, so that might be another way to go
Old 19 May 2004, 08:21 AM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil,

Would definately go for wireless, voda data card abroad will be very expensive as it will be billed as data back in the UK. I've been in germany for 6 months and just from checking email now and again plus a bit of internet my data last month was 127 pounds... !!!
Old 19 May 2004, 10:00 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Calling the uk from abroad can be v expensive. In the end we bought a pay as you go sim for the country we were in and used that to call the UK. Much cheaper, about 1/2 price.
Old 19 May 2004, 10:02 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1_BEN
I've been in germany for 6 months and just from checking email now and again plus a bit of internet my data last month was 127 pounds... !!!

.... ouch !

point taken