Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can a Samsung mobile emulate a modem?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 02:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can a Samsung mobile emulate a modem?

A few of the lads @ work do on-call for one of our clients. At the moment they are limited to using their PC's from home (or in the office) to connect to their network.

I've seen this for their Samsung phones and wondered if it makes the mobile appear in XP as a modem. They need to dial a 0800 number and use RAS to connect to the client's network, so it must do more than just browse the net via WAP.

Stefan
Old 11 May 2004, 03:39 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't need all that software, it's just for phonebook management, ringtones, logos etc. Try and set it up as a standard 9600 baud modem under Windows, either using IR or one of your serial ports.
Old 11 May 2004, 03:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to use IR as it looks like a PITA. For the sake of a tenner I'd rather have the USB interface than the serial one.

Is it only good for 9600 baud?
Old 11 May 2004, 03:56 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limit of GSM I'm afraid You can bond GSM channels using a technique called HSCSD but you pay for each circuit you set up, a bit like using both channels of an ISDN2 at the same time. IIRC it's only available on Orange.

GPRS is the alternative, but latency is a killer. Up to 10 secs is allowed in the GPRS spec, with typical lag of 0.5 to 1 sec. This makes it useless for any sort of remote admin such as SSH or VNC as your ping times are horrendous. There's a little scripting to be done to establish a connection, but it's really simple.

The USB interface will probably just map to COM3 or something under Windows, so that shouldn't present you with any problems.

There was a thread a few days ago discussing Vodafone's 3G data card but I don't think anyone had been given one to test as yet.