Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Burning photo images onto a cd-r using NERO

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2004, 11:46 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burning photo images onto a cd-r using NERO

Hi guys

Just had a phonecall from friend of my mums, that can't seem to burn her digital photos onto a CD then open them back up from said CD.

I don't really fancy a call-out for something as trivial as this, particularly as i'm far from a Nero expert (hate it).

I assume you must burn the jpegs as a vcd?

If someone that uses Nero could type up a guide that i could mail to the old dear, it would be much appreciated.

Paul
Old 06 May 2004, 12:00 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Open them back up ? On her PC or on a standalone DVD player ?

If she switches to Nero Express its much easier.
Just use Data > Data Disc for a normal CD to be opened on a PC or use Videos/Pictures > Video CD for a VCD. The wizards are really easy to follow.

HTH
Old 06 May 2004, 12:11 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Is this any help paul.

How to Make a Picture CD

The Kodak Picture CD format saved my project. Like the Photo CD, Kodak made sure that the format can be read on most personal computers and CD-ROM drives, plus the Kodak Picture Maker kiosks. But the Picture CD uses the standardized JPEG image format which can be created by all major image software.

*NOTE*: I have not checked whether Kodak Picture Maker kiosks will read progressive JPEG images.

To create a Picture CD, you will need:
  1. CD-ROM burner
  2. CD creator software that supports ISO 9660
  3. CD-R blank CDs
  4. Original JPEG images or software that can convert your images into JPEG

Kodak Picture Maker kiosks (and many other drives) do not support CD-RW cds.

Kodak Picture CD images must be in the JPEG format, though they can be any size and any resolution. Pictures must be stored in a sub-directory of the disc titled "PICTURES". Data may be stored on the CD at the top level or in another directory. *Total number of photos possible is unknown. Kodak Picture CDs and Photo CDs contain only 100 images.*

When you get to burning your CD, it must be in the ISO 9660 format and the files must not include any Macintosh extention information. CDs may be burned in either the CD-ROM or CD-ROM XA formats, and multisession CDs will work at the Picture Maker kiosks.

That's it.

Remember, however, that the CD you have just created only contains images, and not any of the desktop software provided on Picture CD discs from Kodak. If you wish for your CD to contain desktop software, you will need to add that at the top level of your CD. No software is required to read the images at the Kodak Picture Maker kiosk or any Apple computer running the Macintosh system 8.0 or higher. How to Make a Photo CD

My original goal was to make Kodak Photo CDs, using the original Photo CDs as source material. This became a huge nightmare as information about Photo CD is hard to find, out of date, or obtuse. The only hard fact I've found about Photo CDs is that the images are stored in a proprietary Image-Pac format. This format allows the image to be stored as a single file that can be de-compressed into a variety of pre-programmed image sizes. Image Pac sizes are denoted as Base over 64 (64x96), Base over 16 (128x192), Base over 4 (256x384), Base (512x768), 4 Base (1024x1536), 16 Base (2048x3072), and 64 Base (4096x6144). Despite the naming convention, the 4 Base size has 1:1 compression, and so appears to be the primary size.

A sneak look at a Kodak Photo CD also shows a hidden directory, called CDI. This directory contains an application, executables, and many files for various language interfaces. This directory many be related to the Slide Show program, or it may be part of the software that converts Image-Pac files into their sized folders. This folder may indicate that the disks are in the Sony-Philips CDi format, which requires special authoring software.

The manual for Toast 4 CD buring software mentions that a CD format called Multi-track CD-ROM is used only for photo CDs, but does not specify if this is Kodak Photo CDs.

The following links may be helpful if you are curious about Photo CD:
  1. Basic details
  2. Definitions of Sony/Philips CD-ROM format
  3. Free Image-Pac licensing
  4. Kodak Build-It software available at Kinkos