Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Security cleared?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 04:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security cleared?

I've been sent a job spec that includes being security cleared. Whats involved and how do I get it? (security clearance , that is )
Old 29 April 2004, 04:51 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

If you don't have security clearance they will normally carry out a check and if you are all ok you will then have to sign the official secrets act paperwork (if that's the type of clearance you are talking about)
Old 29 April 2004, 04:57 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an MoD form that's filled in to grant you security clearance. I've filled in a few when I worked on some Frigates and also when I joined the Marines.

Stefan
Old 29 April 2004, 05:00 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

OK, so speaking hypothetically, if someone applying for a job had a minor criminal offence on their record that was "spent", would that scupper any clearance chances?
Old 29 April 2004, 05:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Have a look on the MoD website - http://www.mod.uk/dva/faqs.htm

IIRC you can't apply for security clearance as an individual. What you need is a sponsor i.e. you can't ask the MoD directly for a form and deal with them directly.

Obviously with the Marines, they just handed me the forms and sent them back to the Corp HQ to process. When I worked on the Frigates, it was the shipyard (a civilian one) that sorted them out for me and then handed them to whatever department actually checks them.

I would have expected the agency or company handing you the job spec to arrange it all, or the company who are going to employ you.

Stefan
Old 29 April 2004, 05:05 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

IIRC, the forms ask about your personal information and your parents. Includes any adoption or name changes, including previous addresses over 5 years (parents included).

Also ask everything about any criminal convictions (even simple speeding).

Not sure if any time served would count against you, but it would depend on the level of security required for the job. I really don't know what would count against anyone.

I've met plenty of Marines with criminal convictions, but that probably works in their favour

Stefan
Old 29 April 2004, 05:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

LOL, thanks Ozzy, the link was useful. I'm going to enquire to see if I can get clearance or whether clearance is a pre-requisite.
Old 29 April 2004, 05:21 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Criminal convinctions don't end your chances of getting clearance. They will take everything into account and in my experience they have a lot of common sense.

If you apply for a position and you are not already cleared, once you get the job your employer should be responsible for sponsoring your application. That is, hopefully you can get the job on merit without having the clearance already.

I'm assuming this is with regards to Security Checks (SC) only, i.e. access up to and including SECRET ? If so, the form is only a few pages long then it goes off and all the stuff is checked over. Occasionaly they would also seek an interview. Expect a form called MoD Form 1109. Clearance usually comes through about six weeks later (unless there are problems).

For up to and including TOP SECRET you would go through Developed Vetting (DV) which is more in depth, including contacting previous employers, requires references, they go and talk to all sorts of people. It also always involves an interview.

In both cases, be as clear as possible about everything. Do not even consider trying not to disclose anything. IIRC, it even says on the form something like "If you don't tell us, we will find out. And when we find out we will think you are dishonest. And if you are dishonest, you are probably a terrorist or something".

Cheers

Ian
Old 29 April 2004, 05:21 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I've been sent a job spec that includes being security cleared. Whats involved and how do I get it? (security clearance , that is )
<LI>Security Check (SC)
  • This is the most widely held clearance. It is needed for jobs involving long-term, frequent and uncontrolled access to SECRET, and occasional and controlled access to TOP SECRET assets and information. We normally review this clearance every ten years. Contractors clearances are normally reviewed after 5 years.
<LI>Developed Vetting (DV)
  • This higher level of security clearance is needed for the most sensitive jobs and tasks, involving long-term and uncontrolled access to TOP SECRET information. DV clearances are regularly reviewed.
Basic Checks (BC)
  • We also carry out a limited number of BASIC Checks (BC) to confirm the identity of a person, although the recruiting authorities or Defence Industry companies themselves usually do these. A BC is an essential pre-requisite for all three levels of security clearance.
I have all but the DV involved the rubber glove brigade...
Access to Gov and MOD datanetworks is the requiment...

can take several months to get, so leave some time...

http://www.mod.uk/dva/customers.htm#types

Ian replied at the same time as me... but he's right don't not disclose anything... looks very bad... even if it was years ago...

Last edited by Dazza's-STi; 29 April 2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 29 April 2004, 05:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Disclosing everything doesn't mean telling them you wet the bed when you were 12
Old 29 April 2004, 07:02 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I didn't!!!! I spilled my drink!!!!!

LOL

They're looking for SC or DV, I've asked if I can apply and then be cleared, but being through a recruiter I'm not holding my breath.
Old 29 April 2004, 09:25 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

bugger, they want immediate start with clearance

If anyone is security cleared and fancies a desktop support contract in Leeds (6 months min.) let me know, I'll pass your details on. I'm not sure if £22-50 an hour means £22.50 or £22 to £50 though
Old 30 April 2004, 10:53 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

it's a catch-22 to get a SC/DV. i had SC coz the company i was working for look after the gov dept, but once i stopped working for the company, i cant "renew" my SC on my own!

so if there's a new perfect job for me but need SC asap, i wont be able to apply as i will need to be cleared again