Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Microsoft wireless keyboard and linksys routers

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 04:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Microsoft wireless keyboard and linksys routers

Anyone know if there's a known issue before I go trawling? Just fitted a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and now can't connect via 802.11 to my router! Same for my laptop downstairs, take the batteries out of the keyboard and mouse and all's well again. If I connect to a BT router in my neighbourhood it works just fine. Have moved the keyboard and mouse well over 10ft from the router with no success.
Old 15 April 2004, 04:23 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just fitted 2 Logitech wireless keyboards and mice to 2 desktop pc's on my network via router - them and wireless laptop all work fine.
Old 15 April 2004, 04:30 PM
ChrisB

Which keyboard set is it?

Would seem highly likely it also uses the 2.4Ghz ISM band and both are trying to use the same channel.

Might be worth trying a different channel on your Linksys (they overlap so go for the other end of the range - IIRC there's only three non-overlapping channels on 54g)
Old 15 April 2004, 04:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Wireless Optical Desktop Elite.

Tried every channel on my router to no avail. Called Linksys and they said it won't work, but going by the tone of voice it was a throw off. Oh well, the keyboard's bought for work, but it was going to make it into my home office when finished with. Needed it so I don't have to put my hands into a cage full of Aligators, Bugs or Snakes next week, lets hope they don't use Linksys routers - more about that later.
Old 15 April 2004, 05:04 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not got the keynboard, but I've got a wireless Microsoft mouse and a Linksys 54g router, and they work fine together.
Old 15 April 2004, 05:25 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Strange problem you have there because from what microsoft say your keyboard operates on 27MHz. Would be interesting to see which product is causing the problem keyboard or mouse or both?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../wireless.mspx
Old 15 April 2004, 10:07 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Got a wireless MS keyboard and mouse (Although not the Elite version) and a Linksys WAG54G wireless router and NOT had any problems here either.I have had issues with my laptop obtaining an ip address via wireless from the dhcp server in the router and having spoke to Linksys Tech Support,I can confirm that they are absolutely useless!!!! (More often than not,when you call the uk tech support for Linksys your call is routed to the US)

Good luck

Nick

Last edited by NickAdams; 15 April 2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 15 April 2004, 10:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Noticed that the number of IP addresses on the router was limited to 4, could explain the problem although I have only got 4 machines, one IP address for the router itself maybe? Will test again if I get the chance, but it's got to be the answer. Funny though as I went downstairs and turned on the lappy to see if the network was working down there. Oh well not to worry.

Linksys... "oh no it won't work, goodbye"
Old 16 April 2004, 12:52 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Jack - Can your computers still actually lock onto the wireless signal and report signal strength? I thought you meant that they could no longer see the router at all?
Old 16 April 2004, 02:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yes they could which made me investigate further. Keyboard and mouse really don't get on with the IBM machine anyhow, plugged them in this morning and the bloody thing started giving me 'operating system not found' errors! Didn't need that, put the cabled ones back in and everything was fine. Had to climb into a cage full of snakes to aim the web cam, not ideal.
Old 16 April 2004, 03:53 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

I've got Microsoft wireless pro mouse and keyboard on the PC connected to the Lynksys by wire. Works fine.

Other PC connected wireless to the Lynksys with plug in mouse and keyboard, sometimes works fine, othertimes I have problems connecting. Once connected works fine.

Jen
Old 16 April 2004, 03:57 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

All our PC's in work are IBM. Some people have a wireless mouse. I can let you know on Monday what make and model.

Jen
Old 16 April 2004, 08:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Don't worry too much Jen, I'll probably give it another go on Monday morning, if it doesn't work then someone else can have it. Will be outside Liverpool St Station all next week if anyone wants a go.