Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Where to buy Apple iMac?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 04:55 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy Apple iMac?

Looking for the best price on a 20" SuperDrive iMac with wireless keyboard, mouse and bluetooth adapter.

Any good or bad points I need to know?

Thanks
Old 14 April 2004, 05:12 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

The only bad point is that the screen is worth more than the rest of the computer and you can't reuse it when you get a new machine

We have a few Mac reseller employees on here, I'm sure one will be along shortly! AppleStore online are generally considered the worst at Customer Service, although if you qualify for educational discount, you can usually save a couple of hundred off the asking price.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 14 April 2004, 05:13 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Not sure about where you will get the best price. Apple prices are pretty much consistent with everyone, unless somethings second hand.

No major bad points I've heard of. The 20" screens are phenomenal though and the iMac is a true beauty. I wanted to get one of these to use as a DVD player / network audio server in the bedroom but i can't afford it

Make sure you get the latest iLife '04 suite (you will, but I would just double check that it was on there first.)

Enjoy
Old 14 April 2004, 05:59 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got to mention Allan Bayman (a member here) who works for MacWarehouse. I've bought a few things from Allan now and he's been exceptionally helpful...

I know other members of this forum have received service of a similair high standard from Allan, so I’d definitely recommend you give him a shout!

(you can pay me that fiver later Allan... )
Old 14 April 2004, 06:36 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

One more recomendation for Allan here.
Old 14 April 2004, 08:46 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep as mentioned prices wont vary much, unlike pc's where you can get more variance. Ive always found apple UK fine in any dealings but I know sometimes their leadtimes can be long on actual computers, peripherals seem to be fine. Ive also used gordon harwood www.ghc.co.uk who are very good and cancom uk www.cancomuk.com cos they have a few branches, one in cambridge which isnt too far away. If you want buy from apple they have a refurb store which is only open 10-4 on wednesday (link on the main shop site) and they sell kit off for anywhere upto 45% cheaper although most recent kit only gets 25% off and you have to be *very* quick, I tried for weeks to get a refurb powerbook without any luck.

Im a mac newbie but there are few friendly gurus on here for help, in fact as a long time PC devotee im going to mac in the office in the near future.

good luck

Gary
Old 15 April 2004, 08:10 AM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

I bought a powerbook off the apple refurb store and well let's just say it wasn't refurbed still faulty. Ended up gping with www.ghc.co.uk and was well impressed. Price was the same as anywhere else except they included a free case for the powerbook and optical mouse. Delivered the next day.

Much better than my titanium powerbook....
Old 17 April 2004, 06:24 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Sorry I did not get intouch sooner as I've been busy training some new strarters in my team and fitting a a new gearbox in my evenings.

Ben if you ever need any Mac stuff I'm always happy to help any Scoobynent members and will always look after them on price as well as you getting the award winning MacWarehouse service.

My work email address is allan.bayman@eu.mwhse.com

AllanB