Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Network booting a cd?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2004, 06:58 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Network booting a cd?

Evening everyone,

I am attempting to install redhat fedora on a laptop with no cd drive or floppy which has onboard LAN and an option to boot from LAN on startup. I thought it might be quite simple but im obviously missing something! I select boot from network when the laptop first starts, it attempts to obtain an address by dhcp which im assuming works as its connected to a linksys router with dhcp enabled but then says no boot file name received and proceeds to try and boot manually.

the cd is in the cd drive of another networked machine running windows xp

is there something im doing badly wrong?

Cheers

David

Last edited by djuk; 12 April 2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12 April 2004, 07:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, yes.

First off, the laptop would have no idea there's a CD in your Windows XP machine, so you need to tell it somehow.

secondly, the whole idea of "booting" means that it loads an Operating System - hence why you need some sort of bootimage on the network. This is an image of a loadable operating system e.g. like an image of a bootable DOS diskette.

Personally, I've never tried it, but I think you need a TFTP server for the laptop to download a bootable image.

Have a look here

If you do need to setup a TFTP server, there's plenty of free software available and it's no more than running the app on another PC.

Stefan
Old 12 April 2004, 08:43 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Well, yes.

First off, the laptop would have no idea there's a CD in your Windows XP machine, so you need to tell it somehow.

secondly, the whole idea of "booting" means that it loads an Operating System - hence why you need some sort of bootimage on the network. This is an image of a loadable operating system e.g. like an image of a bootable DOS diskette.

Personally, I've never tried it, but I think you need a TFTP server for the laptop to download a bootable image.

Have a look here

If you do need to setup a TFTP server, there's plenty of free software available and it's no more than running the app on another PC.

Stefan
Thanks for your reply stefan, have installed a tftp server on the windows machine but still doesnt seem to be going anywhere, im sure it looks like its getting dhcp service ok but cant seem to pick up the tftp server

on trying to telnet to the tftp server (port 69 i believe) from another windows machine but it wont connect which is odd.

Suggestions welcome to save my hair
Old 12 April 2004, 08:50 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

have a look on the xp install cd, may give you details for remote install & details of creating a pxe bootimage..

Not done it myself, nor no anyone who has with win based os
Old 12 April 2004, 08:51 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

can you not just nip & buy an ide adaptor, pop lappy drive in desktop, install, pop back in?