Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP Crash (Bugcheck)

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2004, 11:12 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windows XP Crash (Bugcheck)

Guys - I'm at my tether here, so maybe someone can help -

My windows XP pro PC keeps rebooting, with a Bugcheck 0x0000001d error. It also saves a minidump.... Having updated all drivers etc to no avail, I'm now considering a re-install.

Someone at work thinks that XP can be re-installed OVER the existing install, thus preserving all other software and settings (internet settings etc) - Anyone confirm this -

Obviously a fresh install would be better, but MUCH more work -

I'm considering using partition magic (I've v7) to copy C: to another drive, before either of the above options...

Any assistance Greatly received....

Ta,

Mark
Old 02 April 2004, 11:36 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Have you tried all the usual? Safe mode and/or logged mode to see where it borks?

Jules
Old 02 April 2004, 11:39 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Have you also tried ripping out all cards in the machine and putting them back in one at a time to see if/where it borks?

Has anyone installed new hardware/software lately?

Jules
Old 02 April 2004, 11:47 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

It runs fine for a period (varies from 2 days to a week!) It seemed to start after I added 2 USB harddrives, but since then I've also changed the case (You NEVER know) and an internal drive - This latter I added because one of the USB drives was forever locking explorer up, so I removed it and transfered everything..

I thought that removing the USB drive would fix it, but it crashed yesterday morning - no-one using it (edonkey2000 running though).

The problem with running it in safe/log mode is that it can run for a week without any probs until it occurs -

The message is on event_mangler - under system :

Event Type : Information
Event Source : Save Dump
Event Catagory: None
Event ID:1001
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was : 0x000000d1 (0xff9e5000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf7715f2d). A dump was saved in : c:\windows\Minidump\Mini040104-01.dmp.

Theres a link for Help and Support @MS, but their page just says it might be hardware related and mail them if you'd like them to look at it (yeh, right !)

I've considered removing (physically) the other USB drive, but I feel I'm clutching at straws a bit - though a re-install is a sledgehammer / nut approach..

Mark
Old 02 April 2004, 11:55 AM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem once when trying to install windows a few months ago, my problem was a bad driver for a raid card but I also read about a lot of people having this problem who had installed Roxio software? Take out the second USB drive and see if it happens again. Think hard if you have installed and programs lately and if you have up to date virus protection etc.

As a last resort install XP fresh and try using the files and settings transfer wizard or using the built in backup utility to save your settings and important data. I would not advise installing XP straight over the present installation, it might work or it might just give you a lot of hassle you dont want.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:04 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

hmm - I thing its probably driver related - could try without the usb drive for a week (!)

I'm defo up to date with virus and XP updates.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02 April 2004, 12:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Annoying isnt it. Win2k Pro works flawlessly and regularly clocks 5 weeks in uptime on my PC. I put XP Pro on, n I kept getting bad pool call, IRQL stop (bug) errors. I also changed my ATA controller drivers back to the MS ones, and touch wood, so far its been up for more than 2 days. B4 it would bail after a few hours n sometimes 2 days or so.

One other thing to consider if you have the *****, is to do a bios update. These errors are usually hardware, RAM related not a problem with other software.

If your box is running for 2 days or so like mine, then it is definately a hardware incompatibility of some sort. Which in my case, doesnt make much sense, seeing as XP is an 'evolution' of Win2Ks kernal :/
Old 02 April 2004, 12:48 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Interestingly, there is a bios update available at MSI.com... 'Scary' !!
Old 02 April 2004, 12:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Upgrade at your own risk! Make a backup of the existing bios, read the instructions carefully, do it from DOS not Windows, download the correct bios update and u sbe fine.

I usually boot from an old win98 floppy disc, n update the bios wiv a DOS util for my mobo.

My new mobo has dual bios, so if it goes pearshaped I can switch to the other bios chip
Old 02 April 2004, 01:09 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

yes - I was going to ignore the bios upgrade, on the premise that the updates are for stuff I don't have - the only new hardware I'm running is the disk and I can't see why that would need a bios upgrade....

I must admit, I'm getting close to a re-build .... Can't stand the unreliability - my PC is on 24x7x365, so this is unacceptable

Mark
Old 13 April 2004, 04:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Well I had to go for it as my XP uptime wouldnt exceed 2 days, and guess what; Flash update successful reboot, success load defaults, OK reboot, beeeeep, no post! clear CMOS, NO POST! **** Oh well I'd ordered a new box anyway