Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Streaming a webcam over the 'net ...?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2004, 04:22 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streaming a webcam over the 'net ...?

Now I'm finally hooked up with a shiny new ADSL connection, I'd like to be able to leave my webcam hooked up and pointed down at my car. This woudl aloow me to keep an eye on it on the days when I decide to be environmentally friendly and walk to work.

Can anyone recommend some (ideally free) software that would allow me to do this?

Suppose it doesn't *have* to be streaming - guess I could make do with a refresh every 30 seconds or something.

TIA.
Old 03 March 2004, 05:26 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

You could do this using remote desktop - built in to windows XP. If the computer is 95,98 or 2000 just use the XP cd to copy remote client toolder O/S.

If not tey using messenger software - but some one would need to OK it at both ends.

Or use laplink desktop control system.
Old 03 March 2004, 08:21 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

Take a look at an application called DCAM. It takes pics every 5 secs and posts them to a website usng FTP.
Old 03 March 2004, 09:45 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

As said, there's various dedicated progs for doing this - and they will usually include a webserver to directly serve the images to the internet.

I use VisionGS which also does livestream video if you buy the license.

Windows Media Encoder (free from Microsoft Download site) will also livestream the image - you watch it in Windows Media Player at the other end. Can take a while to get the settings decent though, even for broadband!

Andy
Old 04 March 2004, 02:09 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Yahoo messenger is perfect for this. Good size picture, good quality, quick refresh rate.

Download the yahoo messenger program on both computers, create two different yahoo accounts. Log in on ur cam computer and start the cam, change cam settings so that anyone can view. Log in ur viewing computer and ask to view ur cam id. Although u will have set the cam so that anyone can view, no-one else will no ur id or that your cam is turned on. You can alter the settings so that only "allowed" yahoo ids can view on request.

Voila!
Old 04 March 2004, 11:40 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************

Is there anything else anyone knows about other than DCAM?

I use VisionGS. You can either set it up to refresh a jpg every so many seconds (1 if you want) or live stream it using a little applet on a webpage.

I generally use the jpg method, with a little bit of javascript torefresh it every few secs.

See http://www.rabbitcam.co.uk for my livestream RabbitCam As its being served off my home pc it might go a bit slow if a load of ppl connect to it at once LOL

Andy
Old 04 March 2004, 12:02 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Yeah or just use your IP address. OneandOne domain names are only #1.99/yr for .co.uk tho!!! Including control panel for forwarding/email etc.

Andy
Old 04 March 2004, 12:21 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

What i found best is not actually using the built in http server, but installing Apache (can then use this for other stuff too).

Then drop the .jpg into a directory in your web root.

When i buy my commuter car webcam 2 will be watching it, rather than a reverse angle of the rabbit hutch. I have a 3rd cam which is useful when they are out and about! They all just go into diff dirs on the webserver.

Andy
Old 04 March 2004, 01:32 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Yeah its free and version 2 is slightly easier to set up. I wouldn't say its greatly use-friendly though!!!

IIS will be fine!
Old 04 March 2004, 01:41 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I used VisionGS and was reasonably happy with the SW, but the driver for the camera was buggy and used to crash after about 30 minutes (Note. problem was NOT with VisionGS!)
Old 04 March 2004, 01:55 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I used VisionGS and was reasonably happy with the SW, but the driver for the camera was buggy and used to crash after about 30 minutes (Note. problem was NOT with VisionGS!)
I use it on a Creative VideoBlaster and on a Logitec cam and it never crashes, even though it is usually on 24hrs a day.

Andy