Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Wireless Home Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2004, 12:58 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation New Wireless Home Set-up

I want to network two PC’s together at home. One has a hardwire PCI network card and the other a card built into the motherboard. Originally I was going to cable them directly together as shared units, but I think I would rather go wireless.

What I don’t know is the options and costs in this. Id like it to be flexible, but I don’t need the Gold solution – I think.

My set-up is as follows:

Two PC’s running Win 98 ver2 (It works and I have had no reason to change it).
Main PC with Firewall etc , Printers, Scanners, and USB Broadband Modem Attached

Can I get away with just two wireless cards and link the PC’s together? What are the restrictions in this?

Do I have to get a router?, or can I just link the two together?

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 03 March 2004, 01:25 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a wireless access point somewhere if you want to go wireless. The neatest solution would be to get an access point/router/broadband modem all-in-one box and keep your existing broadband modem as a spare. You could then use either machine without having to switch on the other unless you wanted to use the printer.

This could also provide you with a built in firewall. Someone else will probably have a better idea of what to recommend but the Netgear stuff seems quite reasonable and fairly reliable.

Not sure about sharing a scanner though.

Roy.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:27 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Somebody did this the other week - some really useful replies and web links, I have had a quick look and can't find it.

Check back a couple of weeks.

Jen
Old 03 March 2004, 01:34 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

You could just use two wireless cards, but if you do this, then the broadband won't be available to the 2nd PC if the first PC is switched off.

Personally, I'd go for a Netgear FWG114P wireless firewall router with printserver.

You connect PC1, broadband modem and printer directly (with cables) to the router. PC2 then has a wireless card to connect to PC1, broadband and printer. You can also access broadband and printer if PC1 is switched off. Router is a firewall too, so you don't really need to install firewall software on all machines to secure your network from the rest of the world.

I swear by Netgear stuff, they're reasonably priced, secure, very reliable and have just about every solution you can imagine. They also do other wireless solutions which you may prefer, but IMHO thats the current best one going for a wireless network with broadband.

Al.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:39 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

I went wireless a couple of months ago.

I use a Draytek Vigor 2600G (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=730).

My wireless access card of choice is the D-Link DWL-G520+ (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...&ProductID=768).

The network operates at 54Mbps (as opposed to 11Mbps) and since a firmware upgrade on the Draytek box, the setup has been perfect.

This solution is a good, solid one - and total cost was just over £220.

For you (with 2 PCI cards) the cost would be nearer the £260 (from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk)

You can do it a lot cheaper than that, and Broadbandbuyer is a good place to compare different setups.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:40 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Go for d-link stuff, nice & easy to setup, you want ap2000+ access point & a dwl-g520+ pcmia card ..

this will give you a 54 mpb wireless LAN..
keep your existing adsl modem, but I would get hold of XP pro, use the internet share feature..

Setup like this:

Configure access point, connect cat5 cable to access point & pc 1... activate wep security (64bit) will do..

Assign PC 1 with a static ip on the on board 10/100 for example:

IP 192.168.0.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 198.168.0.1
DNS: 198.168.0.1

Install the pcmia card in computer 2...
assign static IP address:
IP: 192.168.0.2
The rest is the same as above..

Once you have your inernet connection establised on pc1, activate the shared connection wizard, this will take you though sharing, internet/files/printers etc etc..

Hope that helps

Last edited by sti555; 03 March 2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:42 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

no need for a router for this setup, as I said go for xp pro on PC1, it will take care of all the routing for you..

Old 03 March 2004, 01:57 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I don't think installing XP-pro + buying all the wireless hardware is the cheapest solution and is a little drastic IMHO. Besides, I don't really trust XP-Pro as a router due to all the security holes!

Any wireless router and a wireless card for PC2 would be cheaper than XP alone, not to mention all the hassle of re-installing the OS.

Don't see the point is paying extra for a combined router+broadband modem when you already have a broadband modem!

My vote still goes with the Netgear stuff, but D-Link stuff is also pretty good. Personally find Netgear more stable and easier to configure!

Al.
Old 03 March 2004, 02:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

There was a thread entitled "Tiscali Broadband £15.99" on 19 Feb started by Wish in NSR. This developed into a Q & A on networking. Imlach seems quite knowledgable in this area. DL
Old 03 March 2004, 03:15 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Clicky!

The router Imlach recommends on that thread is functionally the same as the one I recommended above only without the print-server!
Old 03 March 2004, 04:06 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Chances are his current modem dos'nt have a ethernet port, most isp's only supply cheap usb versions...
Old 03 March 2004, 05:18 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

True, but he doesn't say that! My free modem does have ethernet, but then again, I'm in not so rip-off Germany!

If thats the case, then I would go for a combined Router/Modem or get a new ethernet Modem.

Last edited by BMWhere?; 03 March 2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04 March 2004, 11:32 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

My modem supplied by Telewest comes with ethernet and USB.
Would a Linksys WRT54G be suitable?
Can get one for about £55 so tempted
Old 04 March 2004, 11:48 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Linksys WRT54G Data Sheet Clicky

Looks like that would do the job OK, although the firewall protection to the internet seems very basic. I would recommend also installing firewall SW on all PC's on the network.
Old 04 March 2004, 11:49 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Linksys WRT54G Data Sheet Clicky

Looks like that would do the job OK, although the firewall protection to the internet seems very basic. I would recommend also installing firewall SW on all PC's on the network.
Yes I already run Sygate