Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any .avi ac3 / 5.1 gurus on here

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 02:05 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any .avi ac3 / 5.1 gurus on here

I'v got a external Audigy2NX, linking via optical out to my 5.1 system (which is a decoder). I use Win Media Palyer V9 or PowerDVD V5, both s/w apps are set to Pass Through via SPDIF as I want 5.1 system to play the audio. When I play a DVD I get full digital sound (logo comes on my system), whan I play a .ac3 sound file I get the same, so all is well. However, when I play a .avi with AC3 I don't get digital, just pro logic. I have verified the .avi with Gspot and it has given me these values:

ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
448 kb/s (5 ch) CBR

Any suggestions how I can get the .avi to work properly.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 26 February 2004, 02:50 PM
davidbailey
Scooby Newbie

Leigh,

I think you need to download an ac3 filter from the net. The PowerDVD is able to decode the sound into the various channels but if you use the avi file, you need the filter software to do this.

Do a google on ac3 filter and you should be ok.

HTH,

Dave

Originally Posted by LeighJ
I'v got a external Audigy2NX, linking via optical out to my 5.1 system (which is a decoder). I use Win Media Palyer V9 or PowerDVD V5, both s/w apps are set to Pass Through via SPDIF as I want 5.1 system to play the audio. When I play a DVD I get full digital sound (logo comes on my system), whan I play a .ac3 sound file I get the same, so all is well. However, when I play a .avi with AC3 I don't get digital, just pro logic. I have verified the .avi with Gspot and it has given me these values:

ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
448 kb/s (5 ch) CBR

Any suggestions how I can get the .avi to work properly.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 26 February 2004, 03:02 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Will the AC3 filter have any effect, as the soundcard is set to pass thru, I belive (could be wrong) I need the 5.1 system to decode the signal.

Cheers,

Leigh