Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NOKIA NGAGE

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 04:26 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOKIA NGAGE

Tried one thread in NSR but seems nobody knows much, here's another go.

I'm after info about these as phones, multi media devices and as a gaming platform? Any serious drawbacks?

All I can think of is that games don't seem to be widly available. For £100 brand new with no contract it strikes me that one of these is a handy MFD that incorporates radio,phone, gaming platform, MP3 playback in one.

I'm hoping someone is going to tell me what's wrong with these so I don't buy one and stick to my old 5110.
Old 18 February 2004, 05:14 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

You can play movies on them too. Compress films into Real Codec 8, whack on a memory card and they will play on the Ngage Don't know much about em other than that!

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 18 February 2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 05:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I've been doing a little digging and it seems these run a common phone O/S that someone has ported MAME to. Just ordered one now.
Old 18 February 2004, 05:36 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

One serious drawback for me. You have to power off the phone, remove the battery then put it all back together just to change a game.
Old 18 February 2004, 05:58 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

& look a tit when trying to use it as a phone
Old 18 February 2004, 07:32 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

You can watch films on a Game Boy Advance. Have a look at Lik Sang.

Personally I don't like the NGAGE. Sticking with my GBA.
Old 19 February 2004, 07:50 AM
NACRO
BANNED

What exactly don't you like Sith? I'd get a GBA but you can't make emergency phone calls on them. NGAGE is to be a car toy primarily for my girlfriend therefore need emergency facility in case she breaks down.
Old 19 February 2004, 05:36 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Why don't you have alook at the nokia 6600 instead. You can dowload all the games that are played on the NGAGE, and you can also download movies to watch on your phone. Fantastic piece of kit, and smaller than the NGAGE.
Old 19 February 2004, 06:31 PM
NACRO
BANNED

..............because the Nokia 6600 isn't available for £99 without contract.
Old 19 February 2004, 09:17 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

What I cant understand is that you are buying a phone primarily for playing games? It's a brick, its a two handed brick at that, and it's ugly!
Old 19 February 2004, 09:47 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I think Nokia have sold about 5 in the world, 4 of those where probably to Nokia employees.. dead technology methinks - does a lot of things, all badly.. shame..
Old 19 February 2004, 09:57 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

your not wrong there.. even my 12 year old Son thinks they are ****e...
Old 20 February 2004, 11:41 AM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "What I cant understand is that you are buying a phone primarily for playing games? It's a brick, its a two handed brick at that, and it's ugly!"

The phone is for EMERGENCY USE ONLY ie if my girlfriend breaks down she can ring recovery. I hate mobiles, think they are a waste of time used primarily by morons who really have no life. For example ringing up people to tell them they are on the train, outside the door (ever heard of a ******* doorbell you morons) and texting each other with empty and vacuous bullsh1t. Even worse are the gangs of **** you see walking around together all having mobile conversations with other people, FFS try communicating with the people whose presence you are in.
That being the case the phone part of it really isn't going to be needed unless something goes wrong. The cheapest PAYG alternative is a Nokia from Tescos at £55, I reckon an extra £45 isn't a lot to pay for a MP3 player, radio and machine that can play MAME.

Anyone got any good reasons why I shouldn't get one? (obviously not the ones listed so far) I don't give a flying **** about it's ergonomics as a phone, nor it's appearance. I'm looking for technical reasons why it's crap while I still have chance to cancel.

Last edited by NACRO; 20 February 2004 at 11:43 AM. Reason: because I fcuking want to OK?