Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Lacie FW Ext Hard Drive with Macs - Help please ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2004, 02:31 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lacie FW Ext Hard Drive with Macs - Help please ?

Hi all....is anyone well clued up using the Lacie Firewire External Hard drives with Mac OS9 and OSX, if so help would be appreciated.

I'm using a 400GB and a 500GB drive and both have gone belly up in the last couple of days. The 500GB has been reformatted and gone back to be checked, but the 400 has gone with more serious problems since then.

The 400 drive is not being seen by the computer at all dispite my best efforts, including using Apple System Profiler, Silverlining Pro and Nortons on OS9, and Disk Utility on OSX Panther. It is not seen on startup or restart, or by straight "hot swapping". We've swapped all the cables with known safe ones and also new ones, but no joy....

Can anyone point me in another direction, or is it as I suspect return to Lacie and lose all the data.

Cheers,

Gareth
Old 18 February 2004, 02:01 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Gareth
First things...commiserations on having **** french drives..I have been using Lacie drives for years and only recently have loads of them been playing up.In the last 2 months i have had 4 firewire drives go belly up.They drop off the desktop and then become unmountable.
I have used Disk Utility OSX, Disk Warrior and Norton but no joy.Lacie as usual are as unhelpful as norm, so you have to deal with it yourself.
If you are using OSX which i think you are, then download a demo of DATA RESCUE.
It rescue's your files, not your drive and i am right now recovering an 80GB drive.
It is looking ok so far but i will know in the morning if it worked, so will keep you posted.
Note: my 80GB drive has taken 4 hours so far so god knows how long it would take on the big ones.

www.prosoftengineering.com
Old 18 February 2004, 09:01 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Could be wrong but I think you need to partition the drive in chunks of less than 140Gb. Anything over that causes issues if formatted in 10.2 or higher than is used under OS9. Could be wrong but heard this a few times last week.

Where did you buys the drives from ?

AllanB
Old 18 February 2004, 09:58 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

S.T. - luckily these drives are working drives for file access and all the data is backedup so I'm not particularily bothered about data recovery, just pi$$ed off at the loss of time taken to burn a total of 400GB of CD data to the drives, only to lose it all. Its going to take me about 35 hrs to put all the data back, and I'm well aware that the repaired/replaced drive may go belly up again. The 500GB had problems from the start but after a 21 hour reformat it all seemed fine.

Allan - thanks for the reply. The drives are used and setup with OS9, OSX was only used to see if it had any joy in seeing the drive (which it didn't), but the partitioning is a useful point, cheers.

The drives were bought from Jigsaw and to be fair their Tech Support has been great, and they have collected the one drive to test and replace (the other packed in just before they collected the first). I get the impression its something they are used to !

Last edited by GarethE; 18 February 2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 18 February 2004, 03:04 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Maybe investigate a firmware upgrade for the IDE to Firewire bridge? Either that or LaCie purchased a bad batch of HDDs recently.

Cheers,
Alex