Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VOIP Applications

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 08:32 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VOIP Applications

Have been messing around with some voip applications as an alternative to normal phone for speaking to my folks back home to keep costs down and im really impressed. Are there any hardware addons which let you use a "proper" handset and phone type arrangement rather than just pc speakers / mic?
Old 17 February 2004, 07:21 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the Linux VoIP guys seem to hanker after the QuickNet PhoneJACK and LineJACK. There's probably loads more, but these are the only products I've heard about.

The PhoneJACK is the basic version, it lets you plug a phone into your PC and use it for VoIP. The LineJACK is a little more sophisticated, it forms the basis of a VoIP Gateway. Gateway's provide VoIP-to-PSTN connectivity for your whole LAN. Have a look at Asterisk

It's a bit of a deep subject once you move away from single PC-to-PC calling, but I'm slowly learning.

Cheers,
Alex