Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DVD burning issues

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2004, 10:05 AM
MR Fusion
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DVD burning issues

I've just treated myself to a funky new (all formats) DVD burner on the PC.

Thing is...when I convert an mpeg or whatever and then burn it to DVD, my DVD player doesn't want to play the first hour or so of the movie.

The main menu comes up fine, so it's reading the first bit of the disks.

Is it because I'm writing (in marker pen) on the non-playable side of the disc, and this is somehow affecting things? I can play everyone else's recordable DVDs in my player without problems...just not my own!

Any ideas?
Old 15 February 2004, 10:35 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Is the media you are using compatible with your dvd player, can you play back the movie on your pc dvd player OK. Also,what speed are you writing the DVD's at? maybe your dvd player does not like playing discs that are burnt at say more than 2x speed, also what ripping/burning software are you using?
Don't think the marker pen will make a difference,as long as it's suitable for marking cd's that is, just try another pen that is suitable.

Edited to say - What format does you dvd player require, have you checked(DVD-R or DVD+R)

Last edited by BigRed; 15 February 2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:42 AM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

MR Fusion

Get your hands on dvd x copy or dvd shrink these are both wicked bits of kit m8

Craig
Old 15 February 2004, 12:10 PM
MR Fusion
Scooby Regular

BigRed - I'm burning at 2x - I set it going and then go to bed!

The burnt DVDs act the same in the PC's DVD player as they do in the 'home' DVD player (which seems to play anything, and has played friend's DVD movies perfectly in the past).

My burner can burn in the usual formats (DVD-R, DVD+R, etc), and I'm using Nero Vision Express with the mpeg2 plugin.

I'm guessing it's down to the cheap(ish) blanks I'm using - £15 for 10 DVD+R from Maplin.

Craig - I've got a copy of DVD X Copy, but am trying to convert all my DivX movies on my hard drive to DVD to free up some space!

Thanks for your help, chaps; I'll get some better blanks and have another go!
Old 15 February 2004, 12:48 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

As recommended to me here a week or so ago, you can try www.ulead.com Movie Factory to convert and then play DivX movies.

Steve.
Old 15 February 2004, 01:08 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

£15 for 10 blanks, mate your paying too much, I get 25 blanks,DVD-R) 4 around £15(mirror Media, good quality)fro E-Buyer give them a try.

I use pinnicle instant cd/dvd for burning my dvd's, dvd decrypter for ripping then put it through nero Re-code for compression, I get perfect results every time,no costers.

Pioneer A05 burner which only burns DVD-r seeing as most dvd players on the market only play DVD-r i did not see the point in multi format drives, not had any compliants yet. Rememder that some DVD players need the UDF file format to work with copied DVD's.
Old 15 February 2004, 04:39 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Fusion

Why not back them up as iso files with dvd decrypt?

Again the price of discs 50 for £30 bulkpaq orange from svp great stuff no coasters
Old 15 February 2004, 08:53 PM
MR Fusion
Scooby Regular

Well, I only bought the blanks at the time as I was too impatient to wait for a better deal. :-)
The guy in Maplin (Holborn) assured me that they were good blanks, etc...obviously not!
Old 16 February 2004, 12:36 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

DVD+r is 65-70% compatible in standalone players
DVD-r is 90-95% compatible

Ritek media is more compatible still compared to the cheaper disks (Bulkpaq/Datawrite reds/yellows etc)

The marker pen issue is nothing to do with it. If you use an un-suitable marker, it may penetrate the coating after several months but would definately not affect a disk straight away.

I'm not sure why your player (and PC) won't play what you've burned.
The menu you've created is burned on the outside of the disk so you're not overburning if this is playing back okay.
I assume it's 2 mpegs you're converting and burning to disk? Is it the first one that's not playing if you can't watch the first hour or so? Perhaps a problem with the conversion/authoring?

Someone mentioned ulead Movie Factory. An excellent, if a bit slow, application. 2mins to set up a conversion then leave it to do it's job.

With the US exchange rate the way it is, there's no excuse for not buying Ritek media for your back-ups. A 25 caketub should cost you no more than £17.

Paul