Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Html help

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2004, 07:50 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Html help

Bit of help required guys, complete noob here trying to "teach myself" web page design! I have downloaded a fancy set of animated buttons but I dont know how to link them to my page as it says I have to copy and paste onto a new page and link them from my original page? Do I need to do this or can I just copy and paste the entire code onto the page I am working on?

Have re-read this and I dont think I've made sense, but will see if the ol' Scoobynet comes up with anythin

edited to say: i'm using 1st page 2000
Thanks in advance

Dougie

Last edited by D8UGF; 13 February 2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 13 February 2004, 08:20 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Dougie,

these buttons are they flash/js based??..

with HTML stuff just wack the code into the body of the page, trial & error moving it round.. As with most things, web coding is best done through trial & error, time consuming I know but will help you learn & understand whats going on!.

anyway perhaps post the code for your fancy buttons, we'll have a look see how we can help.

Also what html editor are you using??

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by sti555; 13 February 2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 13 February 2004, 08:37 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Right Tim, know I'm not goin to explain this very well so bear with me!
First easy reply, I am using 1st page 2000 (evrsoft).

Think the buttons are Java, when I downloaded them it says to copy and paste the script onto another page change the title and link it from your original page. I am doing all this offline just now and cant seem to grasp how to link the button script on the other page with my "homepage". Do I still need to put the images of the buttons on my homepage and link them to the script that does the animations?

Heres the link:

http://www.graphicsbydezign.com/controls10.htm

Edited cos the last lot was a load of Tosh

Oh u dont know what uve got urself into replyin to this thread Tim

Dougie

Last edited by D8UGF; 13 February 2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 13 February 2004, 09:15 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dougie

LOL!
Ok, just had a look, seems pretty easy, I'm not familar with your html editor I mainly use dreamweaver + frontpage...

Ok, if you open up control10.txt within the zip file just copy everything from & including < html > all the way through to < html >, just wack it anywhere on your page for now make sure you in html mode & pasting i as code not text

Then ftp all the .gifs into the root of your site, bang your index page up & it should work, all the animation is all coding within the js so no need to do anything else!

I would perhaps get yourself using a more industry standard editor, just in case you decide to take things further, get yourself the evaluation version of dreamweaver mx from here You will find it's quite easy to use for beginners & very helpfull too, loads of forums & pages just do a google search for advice, will enable you to create complex sites too as you progress..

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on
Old 13 February 2004, 09:34 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Talking

dougie,

here is some more help for you
to get the nav up & working, use best web design practise, start as you mean to go on!..

create a folder /images on the root of you server
copy all the images files here..

download this page here and load it into your html editor.. make sure where every you save it locally you have a \images folder with all the images in to aid editing

Create your hyperlinks from this basic page to suit your suit.. upload the changed & or renamed file, give it a try

Hope thats helpfull, if you every wonder how pages are created it's always helpfull to right click the page & view source, you will soon understand how it's made & how to modify & create bettter pages for yourself

Phew!

Tim

ps

Im sure you will get the idea when you have a tinker, the bare page should be a good starter, can't do anymore as I'm at home on AOL & they block FTP traffic so can't get back onto my server for abit, sorry

Last edited by sti555; 13 February 2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: more info & stuff
Old 13 February 2004, 10:12 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Tim, thanks mate Goin to have a pizza and then attempt it later on. I have frontpage as well, so I might start using that instead of evrsoft. Found a good site with lectures on it, and it told me to start with notepad and just build it up from there. Got a bit ahead of myself and thought I would do the evrsoft thing

Will let you know how I get on, thanks for your help

Dougie
Old 13 February 2004, 10:15 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

No probs mate..

Whilst waiting for you pizza get dreamweaver mx downloading

Cheers

Tim

Old 14 February 2004, 11:39 AM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Tim, managed to crack it last night, believe it or not cant work out what I was doing wrong, as it seems as tho' I did exactly what I was doing before! Anyways its working now, even managed to change the text on the display (using my expert photoshop skills! ) and got rid of all the details that were at the side of the buttons.

One other quick question, what is the best basic width that should be used for the page?, want it to look good in the browser window without any scrolling sideways. Just so I know what size to resize pics to.

Cheers

Dougie
Old 14 February 2004, 06:40 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

dougie,

glad you got it sorted!,

bear in mind most people use 1024x768 screen res nowadays..

so I always cater for this so a layout table to start he page off around:

737wide is normally ok, see here or here for some of my stuff for an example..

feel free to email me if you need help sourcing software or need more help

Cheers

Tim