Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Roxio/Nero 6/Others?. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 12:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bascially I'm after something that will enable me to copy from a DVD to HDD and then copy to CD as a VCD or SVCD etc. Would like to copy subtitles too, do VCD's allow this? to make backups of my OWN dvd's before any smartarse corporation people pipe up

Currently got some product(VCDGalaxy I think) that will do this but is too 'fannying about' and not that intuitive to use (DVDdecryptor, DVDtoAVI and TMGsomething). I'd rather use something much more clean and easy to use and quicker if possible.

Bascially after an and to end product.
Old 12 January 2004, 02:22 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Nero, Roxio etc. are only for burning discs (Nero is better IMHO, but others will disagree).

Personally, I wouldnt bother with VCDs any more. DVD burners are now mainsteam items, and so are cheap, as is the blank media. Buy a DVD burner, then use DVD Decrypter to rip, DVD2One (or DVD Shrink) to compress the dual layer movie to fit on a single layer disc (and discard all the useless stuff like menus, foreign language soundtracks, worthless bonus features etc.). Finally, use Nero to burn the 'backup'
Old 12 January 2004, 02:30 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Thanks But they're still too expensive (c£100+) and the CD writing facility on these drives are still too slow.

When I can get a DVD drive that writes and reads CDs at 48 or 52 speed and is £50 or so then I'll consider it.

I can buy a 52read/write speed CD with Nero (5.5??) for about £40. Already have a 12x8x32 but that's a bit slow.
Old 12 January 2004, 02:39 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

You will have to spend ages ripping the files to burn to vcd though!
Old 12 January 2004, 02:41 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I take your point, but people like eBuyer have DVD burners for less than £70, so that's not too far away from £50 . I agree with you on speed, so I have a separate CD burner, an LG 48x one that cost about £45 IIRC.