Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SD Cards

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 09:19 PM
kanda
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I use an sd card in my video camera for capturing still images. When I linked it to my PC this morning to get the photos off it I also formatted the card from the pc. Don't ask why I did it, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, however, the camera has announced that I need to format the card in order to use it, but it won't do it and then comes up with the message "CARD ERROR" Does this mean that my expensive 256mb sd card is good for nothing? I can't even access it through my pc. Would it be worth investing in a seperate card reader/writer thing from Argos?
Old 10 January 2004, 09:47 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

When you say you formatted the card from the PC how did you do that ? If you did format it from the PC somehow you have to make sure it is formatted to the FAT filesystem, other wise the camera will have trouble reading it.
It is probably worth investing in a card reader, I got mine a Hama USB2 8 in 1 reader from Jessops for £9.99, seemed a bargain.
Old 10 January 2004, 09:56 PM
kanda
Scooby Newbie

Chrisowe

I accessed the card through 'my computer' then right clicked on the 'removable hard disk' (may have been called something else) and just selected the format option. It then asked if I wanted to do a quick format which is what I chose. The rest, is unfortunate history. Do you think it would be repairable if I got a seperate card reader??
Old 11 January 2004, 04:50 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Format just means that you have changed the memory cards layout. You can format the memory card from both the PC and the camera. Try selecting the format option from the camera and it should work fine.

Simon.
Old 11 January 2004, 12:17 PM
JohnnyRob
Scooby Regular

You'll have lost all your pictures on the card by formatting the card, tho
Old 11 January 2004, 05:38 PM
kanda
Scooby Newbie

It wont let me format the card from the camera, I get the message 'card error'. It also just turns itself off and on continuously when I link it to my pc, so it doesn't get the chance to pick it up as another drive.
Old 11 January 2004, 09:08 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

It looks like it could be a problem with the card or the camera. If you try the camera with another card and it works you know its not the camera.
There is a chance it could be the card as I have had problems with a 128mb PNY SD card where it would not work in my PDA or card reader. I ended up taking back to the shop and getting a replacement.

Chris
Old 22 January 2004, 10:29 PM
kanda
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Dragging this back from the depths I know, but if anyone has trouble with sd cards like I did. Buy a cheap card reader/writer and after what seems like hours of trying to formatt the thing it will eventually revive itself, and you will be blessed with the thought that the 50 odd quid you spent on it and didn't tell the wife about was not money down the drain after all!!!

Sounds like something from the top tips section in a Viz comic, but it's true!!!